• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Welcome Home Vietnam Vet

Rate this question

shamrock

Question

Senate Passes Welcome Home Day

Week of March 29, 2010

A resolution introduced by U.S. Senator Richard Burr (R-NC), Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs, encouraging communities across the nation to establish "Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day" was passed unanimously by the Senate. The resolution designates March 30, 2010, as "Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day," to honor the return home of our armed servicemembers after serving in Vietnam. For more information on the War in Vietnam, including educational materials, visit the U.S. Army in Vietnam, the Virtual Vietnam Archive, the Public Broadcasting Service's Battlefield Vietnam webpage, the Vietnam War Bibliography, and the Gravel Edition of The Pentagon Papers.

Find ways to support and honor U.S. military servicemembers and veterans who protect our security and freedom. Visit the Military.com Support our Troops

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Senate Passes Welcome Home Day

Week of March 29, 2010

A resolution introduced by U.S. Senator Richard Burr (R-NC), Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs, encouraging communities across the nation to establish "Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day" was passed unanimously by the Senate. The resolution designates March 30, 2010, as "Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day," to honor the return home of our armed servicemembers after serving in Vietnam. For more information on the War in Vietnam, including educational materials, visit the U.S. Army in Vietnam, the Virtual Vietnam Archive, the Public Broadcasting Service's Battlefield Vietnam webpage, the Vietnam War Bibliography, and the Gravel Edition of The Pentagon Papers.

Find ways to support and honor U.S. military servicemembers and veterans who protect our security and freedom. Visit the Military.com Support our Troops

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

BECAUSE THIS IS A pc BOARD, i WILL NOT TELL THEM AFTER MORE THAN 40 YEARS WERE THEY AND WHAT THEY CAN DO WITH THAT PAPER WORK

IMHO

One Shot, One Shovel

Thanks for the info, Shamrock.

Here's the statement and a bit of history for those that don't know. I don't believe Vietnam was termed a "war" when I returned home. Funny they term it that way now. It's good to hear that people thinking about us old guys!

I agree vperl...it should have been done 40 years ago!

Today, U.S. Senator Richard Burr (R-NC), Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, introduced a resolution in support of the establishment of “Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day.” Designating March 30, 2010, as “Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day” honors the return home of our armed service members after serving in Vietnam.

“There’s no question that our troops served our country bravely and faithfully during the Vietnam War, and these veterans deserve our recognition and gratitude,” Burr said. “Unfortunately, when these service members returned home, they were caught in the crossfire of public debate about our nation’s involvement in the Vietnam War. As a result, these brave men and women never received the welcome reception and recognition they deserved.”

“On March 30, 1973, our United States Armed Forces completed the withdrawal of combat troops from Vietnam,” Senator Inhofe said. “Our veterans who served in the U.S. Armed Forces in Vietnam deserve the greatest honor and respect - honor and respect they were denied when they arrived home. I am proud to join my colleagues in support of this resolution to establish a day in honor of the return of all troops from the Vietnam War.”

The United States became involved in Vietnam because policy-makers believed that if South Vietnam fell to a communist government, communism would spread throughout the rest of Southeast Asia. The US Armed Forces began serving in an advisory role to the South Vietnamese in 1961, and in 1965, ground combat troops were sent into Vietnam. After many years of combat, all US troops were withdrawn from Vietnam on March 30, 1973, under the terms of the Treaty of Paris. Therefore, March 30, 2010, is an appropriate day to establish “Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day.”

More than 58,000 members of the United States Armed Forces lost their lives and more than 300,000 were wounded in Vietnam. The establishment of a “Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day” would serve as a small way to honor these men and women who served our country in Vietnam throughout the war.

Edited by chr49

CHR49

Welcome home?? It is almost time to say "Good bye". I am over 60. Besides, the beer is probably warm by now--- after 40 years. Just glad to be home---so sad for those who never got the chance to come home.

I cannot know how you were treated, accepted at home, or the comments, attacks that you were subjected too...

The VA for all intents and purposes was not getting into the care of Vietnam era vets, no one knew or understood

what the benefits were for us vets just getting out......

We had no classes, or " debriefing time " on what we had gone through, or what services were available....

VA loan and VA money for college.... 191 bucks a month if I remember right.... no one mentioned

that us vets with Purple Hearts could get VA care..... no one mentioned, informed,,, nothing

Now, this whitewash ... by people that know nothing what happened ........

PC me....

Thanks for the info, Shamrock.

Here's the statement and a bit of history for those that don't know. I don't believe Vietnam was termed a "war" when I returned home. Funny they term it that way now. It's good to hear that people thinking about us old guys!

I agree vperl...it should have been done 40 years ago!

Today, U.S. Senator Richard Burr (R-NC), Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, introduced a resolution in support of the establishment of “Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day.” Designating March 30, 2010, as “Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day” honors the return home of our armed service members after serving in Vietnam.

“There’s no question that our troops served our country bravely and faithfully during the Vietnam War, and these veterans deserve our recognition and gratitude,” Burr said. “Unfortunately, when these service members returned home, they were caught in the crossfire of public debate about our nation’s involvement in the Vietnam War. As a result, these brave men and women never received the welcome reception and recognition they deserved.”

“On March 30, 1973, our United States Armed Forces completed the withdrawal of combat troops from Vietnam,” Senator Inhofe said. “Our veterans who served in the U.S. Armed Forces in Vietnam deserve the greatest honor and respect - honor and respect they were denied when they arrived home. I am proud to join my colleagues in support of this resolution to establish a day in honor of the return of all troops from the Vietnam War.”

The United States became involved in Vietnam because policy-makers believed that if South Vietnam fell to a communist government, communism would spread throughout the rest of Southeast Asia. The US Armed Forces began serving in an advisory role to the South Vietnamese in 1961, and in 1965, ground combat troops were sent into Vietnam. After many years of combat, all US troops were withdrawn from Vietnam on March 30, 1973, under the terms of the Treaty of Paris. Therefore, March 30, 2010, is an appropriate day to establish “Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day.”

More than 58,000 members of the United States Armed Forces lost their lives and more than 300,000 were wounded in Vietnam. The establishment of a “Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day” would serve as a small way to honor these men and women who served our country in Vietnam throughout the war.

One Shot, One Shovel

That's correct. I understand where you're coming from. Used to get all hung up about it but try to stay calm these days...HA! Guess it's the meds they have me on these days.

Remember the check they sent us? It was approx '72 or '73 for $600 (if I'm remembering right)...bought my wife a much needed washer/dryer...nothing for me.

CHR49

Much too little, much too late! We Viet Vets were treated like dirt...by the general public and the VA. I was refused jobs because I was a Viet Vet. We had to claw and scratch to get benefits. They didn't recognise PTSD until the late eighties. You're right, college benefits were a pittance. Nothing like the WWII Vets got.

Bitter? You're damn right I'm bitter. I gave the war a 110% and sacrificed my mental and physical health in that war. For what? To be treated like dogs when we got back.

You can take your welcome home nonsense and place it where the sun don't shine.

jaz