VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Wii The Va Increase Lumbar Percentage

Rate this question

postman56

Question

Hello all, since my last post I had a C&P exam on 3/25/2010. I am currently rated @ 20% for lumbar strain. My C&P exam was for cervical strain, bilatteral shoulders pain, hip pain, bilatteral buttock pain and pain in left leg radiating into left foot. My latest exrays show that I have DJD in cervical, bilatteral shoulders, bilatteral hip and lumbar.

the question is will the va increase my lumbar percentage even though i did not file for an increase for lumbar (with bilatteral buttocks and leg pain radiating into left foot) ? Or will i have to file another claim once i get the results? I had very little ROM on lumbar, cervical and hip.

Thanks in advance

Postman56

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Hello all, since my last post I had a C&P exam on 3/25/2010. I am currently rated @ 20% for lumbar strain. My C&P exam was for cervical strain, bilatteral shoulders pain, hip pain, bilatteral buttock pain and pain in left leg radiating into left foot. My latest exrays show that I have DJD in cervical, bilatteral shoulders, bilatteral hip and lumbar.

the question is will the va increase my lumbar percentage even though i did not file for an increase for lumbar (with bilatteral buttocks and leg pain radiating into left foot) ? Or will i have to file another claim once i get the results? I had very little ROM on lumbar, cervical and hip.

Thanks in advance

Postman56

Have you requested for an MRI to done? I know that X-rays don't always show what is really going on! I requested an MRI to be done, once they seen my condition via the MRI opposed to the X-rays, I went from 10% to 40%! IMO, request an MRI from your PCP, ASAP.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

postman56,

What a coincidence, I had C&P exams for my spine the day before you did, but I am not SC yet. In my case, I specifically asked for a lumbrosacral exam. I have many of the same questions you have.

Bravo6 is correct. The x-rays will only show so much. Like you, the docs can see DJD and reduction in space between vertebrae clearly on an x-ray. I have had a few MRI's and they really show how bad your back really is, much better than an x-ray. I made sure the C&P doc looked at them during the exam and the reaction was 'oh my...'

I compeltely agree with you. The VA really needs to revisit the spine ratings. Back pain can be a real living nightmare. They base the ratings on range of motion, but don't tell Veterans that use of pain meds and muscle relaxers prior to a C&P exam can create the appearance of increased range of motion by masking the pain. This time, I managed to go about a week without any pain meds or muscle relaxers and they got to see a true baseline of my conditon.

Unfortunately, who knows how long it will take for the VA to make their decision on our back claims. I wish you the best of luck to get a better rating.

Have you requested for an MRI to done? I know that X-rays don't always show what is really going on! I requested an MRI to be done, once they seen my condition via the MRI opposed to the X-rays, I went from 10% to 40%! IMO, request an MRI from your PCP, ASAP.

Thanks for the reply Bravo6, yes I had a MRI done on my lumbar and cervical. the lumbar MRI states that I have a disc bulge and my cervical MRI states that I have reversal of the normal cervical lordosis.

postman56,

What a coincidence, I had C&P exams for my spine the day before you did, but I am not SC yet. In my case, I specifically asked for a lumbrosacral exam. I have many of the same questions you have.

Bravo6 is correct. The x-rays will only show so much. Like you, the docs can see DJD and reduction in space between vertebrae clearly on an x-ray. I have had a few MRI's and they really show how bad your back really is, much better than an x-ray. I made sure the C&P doc looked at them during the exam and the reaction was 'oh my...'

I compeltely agree with you. The VA really needs to revisit the spine ratings. Back pain can be a real living nightmare. They base the ratings on range of motion, but don't tell Veterans that use of pain meds and muscle relaxers prior to a C&P exam can create the appearance of increased range of motion by masking the pain. This time, I managed to go about a week without any pain meds or muscle relaxers and they got to see a true baseline of my conditon.

Unfortunately, who knows how long it will take for the VA to make their decision on our back claims. I wish you the best of luck to get a better rating.

Thanks Vync, yes I too did not take any pain med. for about 2 weeks and went to work prior to the exam. And yes while I was at the exam I had full body spams going. The problem is that I did not file a claim for an increase in my lumbar. I am hopeing that the va will look at all evidence and increase the percentage for my back. Well good luck to you

doubtful the VA will increase an area previously granted without you claiming further problems or putting in a claim for that area. Hell it's hard to get them to grant comp for a service connection to begin with, I really don't see them increasing what you have not asked for. Sorry JMOHO.

doubtful the VA will increase an area previously granted without you claiming further problems or putting in a claim for that area. Hell it's hard to get them to grant comp for a service connection to begin with, I really don't see them increasing what you have not asked for. Sorry JMOHO.

Thanks