Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Smooth Sailing For Ssdi!

Rate this question

Jayg

Question

I have heard almnost as many horror tails about SS as I have VA. It took me 5 years to get my VA fully granted.

Well, I only filed for SS in November. They first filled out my app for SSI but then switched me to SSDI. I drew my first check this month. Other than the initial interview at the office, all contacts were by phone. Everybody was courteous and helpful. I didn't have to get a lawyer, it went through like you know what from a goose. I am flabergasted!

If there was one sticking point it would be this. I was granted 100% VA via IU back to 2005. But SSDI has only assigned my disability from 2009. So there wasn't a very fat retro there. I haven't sqawked since I only just now filed for it. Just for the record, do I have a beef?

mainly I am posting this to say it isn't always a pain. I am very grateful. After battling VA for half a decade, I wasn't about to go through it again with SS. I had determined to get a lawyer and dump it all in their laps. Yet whoop! Here I am.

That's all. I just wanted to post this ray of hope and ask that brief question.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

The effective date for SSDI can not be more than 12 months prior to your initial application date. So when you filed in November 2009, the earliest effective date would have been November 2008 plus five month 'grace' period equalling an effective date of May 2009; because I think they also pay a month after, like the VA.

Hope this helps.

Louis

• HadIt.com Elder

Bonzai is partially correct. To get more than 12 months of retro you have to appeal and a Judge has to see it your way. I know people who have gotten years of SSD retro cause unlike the VA the reall colcok starts ticking when you can't work

Jay you can appeal your decision if you are looking at a lot of money but maybe you should run it by a Lawyer and see what they say.

Thanks for the help Pete53! I did not know that one could apply for retro on SSDI.

It would seem that jayq has an additional 2005-2008 (3 years) coming to him, depending on the reasoning used for granting SSDI, so I agree he should see a lawyer.

Thanks! I'll definitely look into it.

Actually, I haven't worked since 2004. I just claimed TDIU from 2005.

Thanks for the help Pete53! I did not know that one could apply for retro on SSDI.

It would seem that jayq has an additional 2005-2008 (3 years) coming to him, depending on the reasoning used for granting SSDI, so I agree he should see a lawyer.

• HadIt.com Elder

yes but somewhere you have to apply for a benefit the SS agency is not a mind reader and I think unless a claim was made 3 or 4 years ago the best that can be hoped for is the previous 12 month period but as for the best answer see a lawyer that specializes in SSD claims if they can see a paycheck in it for them they will take your claim and get you all the back pay they can especially since you have been granted but if there is nothing to be gained they will tell you and decline to take the case the most you will lose is the hour or so it takes to talk with them and your gas for the drive to their office it might be worth it