VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C Spine Fusion

Rate this question

Charleese

Question

Hi all,

Vet underwent a C Spine fusion and curently has fusion wires and a cage in his neck.

Question: (1)Does anyone know what would happen if 1 or more wires came loose from cage in his neck? Please excuse my ignorance on this subject.

(2) How serious is having fusion wires and a cage in ones neck.

Thanks for your replies in advance.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Hi all,

Vet underwent a C Spine fusion and curently has fusion wires and a cage in his neck.

Question: (1)Does anyone know what would happen if 1 or more wires came loose from cage in his neck? Please excuse my ignorance on this subject.

You better tell him to go to the emergency department ASAP. If the wires come loose than the neck can lose stability. We're talking about the spine if the fusion slips that can put pressure on the spinal cord/nerves and cause complications.

JMO,

Bergie

Hi all,

(3) What would cause wires to come loose?

• HadIt.com Elder

I think as Bergie has said that is about as serious as it gets. The fusion is a big deal and any complications are an even bigger deal. Damage to spinal cord would be a horrendous big deal.

My third fusion surgery was to repair a fusion, one out of four, that did not take the first time.

Let's see, 60,000 bucks a pop, times 3, equals a very expensive neck.

But I protected the government's interests by having it all done in the private sector.

Infection is usually the biggest concern because of where it can take hold.

The stabilizing stuff that the surgeon leaves inside the body is usually there for life and does not need anymore procedures done to it.

The construction with the wires, rods, screws, bolts and implants are natural or manmade materials that the immune system doesn't care about.

The healing time is kinda lengthy but the overall fix is for life.

Where will it be done?

Which facility?

sledge