Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Jet Fuel Exposure Anyone?

Rate this question

jessie0054

Question

I have done some research, but I really don't have the money to be able to have tests done. Thats where I have problems, but with everything that I have gone through and the fact that my mom is really sick also and brother who was born June of 1988, also has an unidentified muscle disorder. I'm hoping that I can obtain a good enough case.

Chris:

Send me a personal message and your e-mail address.

I don't have any time right now but maybe after the New Year i will see if i can be of any help.

Jessie

Guest DON20906

You can claim service-connection for anything on a direct basis, but mere exposure is not a disability. What are the conditions claimed?

Has anyone here filed a claim for exposure to Jet Fuel??

What was the out come??

Would like to hear from you. My email address is <rjflet@mcmsys.com>

Thanks, Jessie

Hello and thanks for your reply:

My son served in the Navy 1989-1992 as an avaition Structural Mechanic and was required to refuel Helicopters as they hovered over head.

In 2002 he was diagnosed with 2 very Rare conditions, [ 1] Signet Ring Cell Adenocarcimoma Of the Appendix and [2] Polycythemia Vera [ A Bone Marrow Disorder].

Guest DON20906

This will be a tough one to prove. I've done cases like this at the appellate level, but I can't honestly state I know what happened to them.

The major carcinogen in gasoline (jet fuel is a mix of gasoline and kerosene) was benzene. Benzene, a solvent derived from coal, is known to cause an number of cancers. See: http://www.toxictorts.com/tox_benzene.shtml. Benzene was banned as an additive to gasoline a long time ago. Depending on when, benzene may be the culprit.

FWUZMEE:

I would start by filing an informal claim TODAY (effective date) with VA for the conditions you listed as due to exposure to solvents. Be as general as possible. I'm sure the veteran used other chemicals like toluene, acetone, etc. They all have write-ups on the NIOSH web site. www.cdc.gov/niosh. I'd have the veteran write a list of ALL the nasty stuff he used in his job. Then I would start researching what the medical literature says, if anything, about the etiologies of the cancers and see if you can find any links to solvents. Then I would need a medical nexus statement from a doctor, preferably a board-certified oncologist with an expert witness background in industrial toxic torts. The statement should include the language: "It is my medical opinion that it is as likely as not that the patient's conditions were caused by exposure to _________ in service." Then I'd pack up your the veteran's service personnel records, current medical records, the research literature and the nexus statement. I'd put a substantially complete VA Form 21-526, signed and dated by the veteran on top and ship it to VA. Then I'd expect VA to fight it.

My son served in the Navy 1989-1992 as an avaition Structural Mechanic and was required to refuel Helicopters as they hovered over head.

In 2002 he was diagnosed with 2 very Rare conditions, [ 1] Signet Ring Cell Adenocarcimoma Of the Appendix and [2] Polycythemia Vera [ A Bone Marrow Disorder].

Guest DON20906

This will be a tough one to prove. I've done cases like this at the appellate level, but I can't honestly state I know what happened to them.

The major carcinogen in gasoline (jet fuel is a mix of gasoline and kerosene) was benzene. Benzene, a solvent derived from coal, is known to cause an number of cancers. See: http://www.toxictorts.com/tox_benzene.shtml. Benzene was banned as an additive to gasoline a long time ago. Depending on when, benzene may be the culprit.

FWUZMEE:

I would start by filing an informal claim TODAY (effective date) with VA for the conditions you listed as due to exposure to solvents. Be as general as possible. I'm sure the veteran used other chemicals like toluene, acetone, etc. They all have write-ups on the NIOSH web site. www.cdc.gov/niosh. I'd have the veteran write a list of ALL the nasty stuff he used in his job. Then I would start researching what the medical literature says, if anything, about the etiologies of the cancers and see if you can find any links to solvents. Then I would need a medical nexus statement from a doctor, preferably a board-certified oncologist with an expert witness background in industrial toxic torts. The statement should include the language: "It is my medical opinion that it is as likely as not that the patient's conditions were caused by exposure to _________ in service." Then I'd pack up your the veteran's service personnel records, current medical records, the research literature and the nexus statement. I'd put a substantially complete VA Form 21-526, signed and dated by the veteran on top and ship it to VA. Then I'd expect VA to fight it.

• HadIt.com Elder

jessie,

I was a AME. Aviation Structural, wow, I can't remember what the "E" stood for. Probably environmental tech. I worked on a flight line and developed an immune system disease called "andioedema". I am service connected for angioedema due to chemical exposure. In my case the symptoms developed while I was still on active duty. When the symptoms and diseases develop years after discharge the claim becomes more difficult. DON20906 did a real good job of explaining your plan of attack. One thing to add is that when you burn fuel the end product is about 1000 different hydrocarbons in varying concentrations. Any doctor who works with chemical exposures should know about the by products of fuel that has been through combustion. Try to find a service organization to assist you and keep posting to hadit.

By the way, jet engines are really dirty burning. I am amazed that many of us who worked on a flight line have not been the subject of intensive research. I have not heard of any studies specific to the medical effects of breathing jet exhaust. Somebody should get the ear of a Senator and get some research on the exposure to military flight line employees. Fire fighters who worked in the old days before they came up with all the protective maskes dropped like flies due to colon cancer. Everybody who knows any fire fighters as heard about this fact.

Hoppy

100% for Angioedema with secondary conditions.