Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssid & Sc Compensation

Rate this question

jc30655

Question

Greeting fellow Vets.

I have looked through the site over and over and have not found any posts that address my issue.

I am currently rated at 40% service connected. 10% tinnitus and 30% PTSD. I have applied for total unemployability at my local Veterans Service office recently, mainly because I have been going to a private psycologist who was kind enough over the last 10 months to write three seperate progress letters for me clearly stating that my GAF scores were 37-39 and am unemployable. I have letters from the VA VocRehab stating that I will not benifit from any of their programs. I also have a letter from my state department of labor also stating that I will not benifit from any of their programs. I also have received my Social Security Disability Entitlement letter clearly stating that they too found me to be unemployable and awarding me Social Security Disability.

My VSO also has submitted my SSDI entitlement letter. Based on this I feel that the VA should also find me TDIU, but that is my emotional side. I have been told by my VSO that a suspense date is scheduled for the middle of June 2010. I'd really appreciate your comments.

I am also asking is SSDI taxable? Do I need to fill out a 1040 income tax form? Knowing that I did not even report what I got last year on my VA compensation I am curious. Also, if anyone is receiving SNAP food stamps, do you report your VA service connected monthly check?

I am darn near out of money, sure am out of patience and it is obvious I am out of breath, but I sure would appreciate ya'lls opinion on these questions. It's all new to me and I feel as if I am bumping into walls and having to retrace each and every step.

Thanks in advance, and a special thanks to Carlie who suggested I start a new topic.

John

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

1. Sounds like you pretty well have your bases covered for TDIU. As far as a "suspense date" is concerned, who knows?

2. SSDI is taxable, you will get a 1099 SS income statement. You had best file a 1040. But, having said that, you will not wind up owing anything if the SSDI is the only taxable income that you have. Which leads to.................

3. No, the VA income is NOT taxable...........and, hence is not reportable. But, I do not know about the Food Stamps. You'd need to ask the Food Stamp peeps.

Greeting fellow Vets.

Also, if anyone is receiving SNAP food stamps, do you report your VA service connected monthly check?

Yes, you have to report your VA Compensation income to SNAP!

Good Luck!

B6

• HadIt.com Elder

I have never heard of the "SNAP" food stamps program but if it is like other food stamp rograms then it is based on "total income" not just taxable income they want to know all monies coming into the home food stamps are normally a "needs based program" and yes VA comp and SS payments count towards that amount while it is not taxable it does take you out of being eligible for "needs based programs" normally even if you get a large SSD retro tax people can show you how to do previous year returns to show when you should have received the SSD and are normally able to spread it out so no tax is due each veteran and their family is unique with regards to working spouses etc main rule of thumb is less than 25,000 in SSD benefits means no tax is due for a single vet a married vet with a non working wife can get 32,000 a year and owe no taxes if your spouse works and the income including SSD exceeds 32,000 a year then taxes are due you need a tax advisor to see YOUR liability onve we extablished I no longer owe taxes the IRS told us to quit wasting their time unless we win the lottery or something that changes our income status like my wife going back to work etc except she has become a full time care taker and it is doubtful she will ever go back to work we last filed in 2003 and that was when they told us to stop filing the 0 income forms works for me

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't have to file as my total income is VA and SS and the SS is under 32,000. However I buy a tax program and file no matter what. Once one of the rebate deals required us to file and I don't trust the IRS.

I use Tax Cut and part of the questions has me list my SS 1099's and they do the computation.

I guess if we ever sold our house we would have to file on that also.