Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension Denied 2007(said I Didnt Show)

Rate this question

vet201060

Question

I didnt know anything about appealing the claim back then. I have it diagnosed in my medical records(no doubt). Can I file and just do blood pressure checks? The VAMC took mine last week before appointment and it was 162/9?. I would be happy with 0% just in case it gets worse with age. I am 31 now. I dont think the service caused hypertension tho. It did happen in service. Is this claim just a waste of time?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

I was discharged in 1982. On my discharge physical, I had a reading with the lower number over 100. I did not give it much thought to it, but around 2001, my BP got bad enough to go on medicine. I remembered the high reading at discharge, and filed for the hypertension. I sent in my civilian doctor records, and they got my military medical records. Finally in March 2002, I got a letter approving the hypertension for 10%. Yes, it is worth your while to file again. There is no time limit. Send in all your records from civilian doctors. If you do not have many, start going to a doctor regularly for BP checks, and have the doctor write a letter to the VA describing all the medicine you are on, and what your readings were before you started taking the medicine. You will also need your military records to establlish a high reading while in service. You must be patient, as it took 10 months for an answer. I am now 5 months into a secondary claim off the hypertension for coronary artery disease/IHD because of a six way CABG, and will be lucky to have an answer by year's end.

Always remember and never forget, if you are not here, there you are.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VCAA ensures t he medical records in posession be gotton by the government.

If you filed a claim for HTN and had high readings in service, Or you had readings with top line 160 and higher or bottom line 100 or higher then you should have been service connected.

They did it to me. I had 14 out of 17 readings with the BP compensable. Bottom line was over 100.

They denied it for they couldnt find the med recs. Fast forward to 2000. I reopened with a note from my personal doc who treated me post service. ( Less th an a year) Then they denied it saying that I was not diagnosed or complained about it in service.

If you have proof you had a condition in service and you currently have it and they dont connect it and you meet the compensatory requirements spelled out in the regs. You may have a cue claim.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

If they granted me 10% I would still be at the same rating as I am now and have been since initial claim. I guess that would be a big facter for a CUE. I just want to be SC for it if I am qualified. I still dont understand how I could blame this on the military. How did they cause me to have hypertension? I am still confused about this one. THe DAV put me in for it when I seperated from service.

The VCAA ensures t he medical records in posession be gotton by the government.

If you filed a claim for HTN and had high readings in service, Or you had readings with top line 160 and higher or bottom line 100 or higher then you should have been service connected.

They did it to me. I had 14 out of 17 readings with the BP compensable. Bottom line was over 100.

They denied it for they couldnt find the med recs. Fast forward to 2000. I reopened with a note from my personal doc who treated me post service. ( Less th an a year) Then they denied it saying that I was not diagnosed or complained about it in service.

If you have proof you had a condition in service and you currently have it and they dont connect it and you meet the compensatory requirements spelled out in the regs. You may have a cue claim.

J

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I'm 38 and I have had HTN for 4 years. It can happen you young folks too. 162/9x is high, but not very high.

While in the service, my BP was always riding a bit on the high side. Then again, they did have me on seldane and sudafed for almost the entire five years I was in. Pondering a claim, but working on putting together a packet of evidence to present to my cardiologist.

Try to obtain all of your records: personnel file, service med records, VA med records, VA prescription list, and C-file. Take the time to go through every page and look for anything which possibly could be related.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

If they granted me 10% I would still be at the same rating as I am now and have been since initial claim. I guess that would be a big facter for a CUE. I just want to be SC for it if I am qualified. I still dont understand how I could blame this on the military. How did they cause me to have hypertension? I am still confused about this one. THe DAV put me in for it when I seperated from service.

It is not a matter of blaming the military. It is a matter of comparing your readings before your service to those during service.

Always remember and never forget, if you are not here, there you are.