Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chronic Fatigue

Rate this question

kaykay

Question

I suffer from well documented chronic fatigue due to my medical conditions. I have not been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. So I'm wondering if fatigue would be rated under CFS? I have noticed a number of people have been rated for fatigue and am hoping someone will have the answer. Thanks.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6354 Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS):

Debilitating fatigue, cognitive impairments (such as inability to concentrate, forgetfulness, confusion), or a combination of other signs and symptoms:

Which are nearly constant and so severe as to restrict routine daily activities almost completely and which may occasionally preclude self-care

Which are nearly constant and restrict routine daily activities to less than 50 percent of the pre-illness level, or; which wax and wane, resulting in periods of incapacitation of at least six weeks total duration per year

Which are nearly constant and restrict routine daily activities to 50 to 75 percent of the pre-illness level, or; which wax and wane, resulting in periods of incapacitation of at least four but less than six weeks total duration per year

Which are nearly constant and restrict routine daily activities by less than 25 percent of the pre-illness level, or; which wax and wane, resulting in periods of incapacitation of at least two but less than four weeks total duration per year

Which wax and wane but result in periods of incapacitation of at least one but less than two weeks total duration per year, or; symptoms controlled by continuous

medication

Note: For the purpose of evaluating this disability, the condition will be considered incapacitating only while it requires bed rest and treatment by a physician.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

Thanks Pete,

So I suppose you're saying that fatigue is rated under CFS. It looks like I fall in the 100% category as it is one of my conditions that is being treated by a doc, and I do spend most of most days in bed.

Is there an approved treatment for CFS?

I am not sure, but I would guess any treatment just provides symptom relief. I don't have CFS, but have debilitating fatigue from MS. You might get an answer faster if you start a new topic with your question.

The reason I posted the regulation is, you may have fatigue but you will have to be diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome and then your doctor will have to prescribe bed rest. I suffer from fibromyalgia and I have severe fatigue but my doctor has never prescribed me bed rest. It states in my records for me to go at my own pace, I also have sleep apnea and with all my medications it seems that life for me right now is very challenging. There are days where I have to force myself to attend my basic needs but then again I do not know your situation and if your doctor will write a prescription for bed rest. You might want to look at your symptoms and see if they can be awarded secondary to your MS.

Hope This Will Help

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

Kaykay Pete992 is looking at it the same way I was. If there is a recognized treatment for a condition and you are receiving that treatment, those facts serve to support a claim. A combination of symptoms can result in an award for conditions secondary to a service connected condition. This route has been used successfully in non-combat PTSD.

That was the reason for my question. I wasn't trying to hijack the thread. I don't suffer from Chronic Fatigue or chronic fatigue-I am just lazy.