Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diagnozed Schizophrenia!

Rate this question

Dano50

Question

Hello, I'm not sure where to start but in service I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. The VA has diagnosed me now with schizophrenic reaction, undifferentiated is confirmed and continued. I am also told I have schizoaffective disorder with mood disorders. This is getting more confusing as I also have been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder and depression. What the VA is telling me is that my depression which is major is part of my mental disorder. My Bipolar is part of the mental disorder. Each of these disorders falls into the schizoaffective mood disorders. Has anyone ever dealt with this kind os situation where the disorders are part of the big picture. If it is its ok but if not I would there be any grounds to file for a secondary with any of these symptoms or does the mental disorder cover it all? Thanks for your time.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

It is not unusual for diagnoses to change over time. Filing a claim for a psychiatric condition by any name should result in a full investigation of all relevant diagnoses. Get a service office if you do not have one.

You say you were diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic in the military. Is this why you were discharged? How long ago were you discharged? These questions are important. You might need to get a re-diagnosis of the psychiatric condition in the military. There are temporary psychotic symptoms that the VA will not service connect. There are many cases on the BVA site where after the re-diagnosis service connection is awarded. Sometimes these re-diagnoses are obtained by the C&P exam process. Sometime the veteran needs to battle the VA with independent medical opinions from VA treating doctors or private doctors.

• HadIt.com Elder

The thing that really matters once you get SC'ed for a mental condition is how it disables you. I got a whacky DX of schizophrenia, residual type, in my original rating. The DX has changed many times over the last 40 years, but the key issue if how it affect me in regards working and ability to function. If you have five different MH DX'es the VA will rate you under the most severe according to their understanding.

Right- only one rating for MH issues.

Dano -are you able to work?

Is the 50% for the mental health issues?

When did you get this decision? Did you disagree with the rating?