Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mmpi-2 Results

Rate this question

Gratefulmess

Question

About a year ago I was administered the MMPI-2 through my local VA Hospital. It only took 54 minutes for me to take, and I know it wasn't the full full test, even though the doctor told me it was the full 567 questions. My results came back as inconclusive due to exaggerated results concerning PTSD(as I was told). I was not allowed to review my results, or even receive copies of them. This in turn blew away my PTSD and Depression claim of which I was diagnosed and was seeking treatment. I was granted 70% for Social Anxiety(NOS PTSD). I have been seeing a private psychiatrist who administered the short version of the MMPI-2 and he was more than willing to go over the results. I scored within the validity scales and was diagnosed of having a high level of anxiety with depression coming in a close second. My doctor told me the MMPI-2 is not used for PTSD and couldn't understand the VA's stance. I have forwarded a copy of the results to my lawyer as I am applying for TDIU. My question is: Should I share the new results with my VA doc or just let my lawyer handle it?

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

if you have a lawyer handling the you NEED to let them tell you if they want any thing submitted to the VARO if you are trying to go around the lawyer why sign up with one to handle your case? Getting the lawyer on my claim after 5 years was the best thing that ever happened to me, I fought it myself from Oct 2002 - July 2007 I was able to get my PTSD to 100% P&T but the VARO would not even deal with my cardiac issues deny deny deny after getting the lawyer involved the fun and games ended less than a year later she had my BVA hearing scheduled and I was granted SMC S and a lot of back pay to Dec 2003

Don't go looking for ways to undercut your lawyer you will only harm your case if you are submitting stuff your lawyer does not want them to have if it will help you then let the lawyer decide I had the arguments myself with my lawyer thats why I am giving you this advice talk to YOUR lawyer....

Are you saying the VA granted you 70% SC for "social anxiety?"

Your profile says 40%

?????????????????

Was this the combat related MMPI?

Was your stressor verified yet?

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have 70% for any mental condition that is enough to apply for IU if you can't work. You don't need PTSD as long as your MH problems are SC. It does not matter what they call it. Using MMPI alone to deny PTSD is unheard of as far as I know. Do you have combat awards or badges? What was your stressor? Almost every MMPI says that patient is exaggerating symptoms.

Are you saying the VA granted you 70% SC for "social anxiety?"

Your profile says 40%

?????????????????

Was this the combat related MMPI?

Was your stressor verified yet?

I updated my rating to 70%....It's been a while since I've been on here.

As far as I know it was the standard MMPI-2. I had no idea there was a combat MMPI. Yes, my stressors are verified after 5 years in the loop and finally getting a BVA hearing; only to get rated at 30% Social Anxiety(NOS PTSD)from a VA doc I never dealt with before, and then increased to 70%. I am now applying for TDIU.

If you have 70% for any mental condition that is enough to apply for IU if you can't work. You don't need PTSD as long as your MH problems are SC. It does not matter what they call it. Using MMPI alone to deny PTSD is unheard of as far as I know. Do you have combat awards or badges? What was your stressor? Almost every MMPI says that patient is exaggerating symptoms.

The problem with my case was for combat awards. I was a Cavalry Scout during the Gulf War and we did not receive the CIB (even though all infantrymen assigned to my unit did), which is what took me 5 years to prove direct enemy engagements with the VA after requesting a BVA hearing. My depression and PTSD claims were dropped, but Social Anxiety(NOS PTSD) was granted.

if you have a lawyer handling the you NEED to let them tell you if they want any thing submitted to the VARO if you are trying to go around the lawyer why sign up with one to handle your case? Getting the lawyer on my claim after 5 years was the best thing that ever happened to me, I fought it myself from Oct 2002 - July 2007 I was able to get my PTSD to 100% P&T but the VARO would not even deal with my cardiac issues deny deny deny after getting the lawyer involved the fun and games ended less than a year later she had my BVA hearing scheduled and I was granted SMC S and a lot of back pay to Dec 2003

Don't go looking for ways to undercut your lawyer you will only harm your case if you are submitting stuff your lawyer does not want them to have if it will help you then let the lawyer decide I had the arguments myself with my lawyer thats why I am giving you this advice talk to YOUR lawyer....

Thanks for the information. I am definitely not trying to undercut my lawyer. She has been nothing but a savior with my case. I have already sent a copy of the new MMPI-2 results to her. I was just curious as to weather it would wise to submit the same results to my VA doc. I will definitely ask her first.