Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got Scheduled For Ptsd C&p

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

Just got the notice today, it's for next month.

I'm already scared sick. There's no one who can go with me, and it's close to 100 miles to get down there.

I'm so anxious about this. Criminy, it's weeks from now. If I'm this scared now, by the time it comes around, I'll be a raving wreck, or a petrified lump of wood.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks for all the support, everyone, it really helps a lot!

billy, I'm in treatment at the VA, therapy & psych with meds. The Vet center sent me to the VA MH people because they said my condition was too severe for them (I couldn't stop crying...so embarrassing). So they have all my treatment records, know that I was in an in-patient program last year, etc. I hope that counts in my favor.

Pete, that's a good idea, but I think staying at the VAMC would really freak me out. Plus my appt is in the afternoon and the 'Inn' is reserved for early morning stuff. I wouldn't want to take the space that should go to someone looking at dawn surgery. I can sit in my car and be okay.

MT, yeah, my favorite jeans and t-shirt, and of course my orthopedic sneakers. I'll be comfy, no restraining or binding clothes. The last time I went to the Mental Health floor at the VAMC I had a panic attack in the reception area and was hyperventilating like mad. That got way too much attention. Ironic, isn't it? You flip out because of the roomful of people, and then you're suddenly surrounded by a bunch of people trying to help you not have a heart attack.

Quibley, thank you so much. No, still waiting for a response. It's tough because they want me to give them the name of the person arrested, and I just can't remember it.

Kelly, thanks!! I was thinking about calling the DAV for a ride down there, so that I wouldn't have to drive in such a state of rattle-ness. BUT, the idea of being in a vehicle with a driver and other passangers... I'll be okay in my car. I'm going to be better off by myself than with a stranger who's trying to be compassionate. But thanks for the thought.

I hope I can manage not to cry during the exam...unsure.gif

Thanks again, everyone. I feel better knowing I have a cheering section!

hedgey,

if there's anyone you wanna "keep it together" for, it's NOT the PTSD examiner.

I'm not saying ham it up, but it's good for them to see you at your worst. My examiner was so fast and clinical he didn't leave time for the genuine emotion I felt to come up.

When I went thru a crying bout it turned out to be more the mid-life thing than PTSD (best as I could figure) but it's good for examiners to see you at your worst or have an idea what that is.

All the best!