Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Heat On The Secretary

Rate this question

Berta

Question

from : http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/poli...82_watch24.html :

WASHINGTON — Veterans Affairs officials waited two weeks to call in the FBI to investigate the theft of sensitive personal data, delaying a warning to 26.5 million veterans now at risk in one of the nation's largest security breaches. Lawmakers from both parties demanded answers.

Burglars struck the suburban Maryland home of the VA data analyst in early May, taking a government-owned laptop and disks containing the names, Social Security numbers and birth dates of veterans discharged since 1975.

But the FBI wasn't notified until late last week, two law-enforcement officials said Tuesday, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Sen. Larry Craig, R-Idaho, chairman of the Senate Committee on Veterans Affairs, said his panel would hold an emergency hearing Thursday because "26 million people deserve answers."

VA Secretary Jim Nicholson was expected to testify

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Dear Berta,

It is sad that something like this had to happen to allow the entire US population to know how incompendent the VA is. The question I asked was, "what was an analyst doing with that much information to start with" I do hope the VA director is fired and a long shot maybe Buyer will go with him. My Senator assured me (right) that he would investigate it futhur.

This issue was front page in my home paper over million five saw it. It's all over the news.

I contacted all 3 credit reporting agencies and had a 90 day fraud alert placed on my and my wifes's information. You can do it all over the phone. It will not allow anyone to open a credit line without the company contacting you first via phone those numbers are.

800-525-6285 (experian)

800-397-3742 (Equifax)

800-680-7289 (transunion) They say that once a fraud alert is placed on one that they will contact the others to have it done as well. however I contacted all 3. Or go online at www.experian/fraud and you can set up the fraud alert and get a free copy of your credit report (they started this just for Vets)

Gob bless you,

Bound4Heaven