VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fraud Alert

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Vets and spouses can call Transunion at 1-800-680-7289 and have a fraud alert put in their file. I just did it for me and my wife. It is free and they share the alert with all the other credit bureaus. If someone tries to open an account in your name you have to give your permission first.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

more . . . https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/helpfaq#fraudalert

How do I request a "fraud alert" be placed on my file if I believe I may be affected by the recent Veterans Affairs data security breach?

You have the right to ask that nationwide consumer credit reporting companies place "fraud alerts" in your file to let potential creditors and others know that you may be a victim of identity theft. A fraud alert can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you. It also may delay your ability to obtain credit.

You may place a fraud alert in your file by calling just one of the three nationwide consumer credit reporting companies. As soon as that agency processes your fraud alert, it will notify the other two, which then also must place fraud alerts in your file.

Equifax: 1-877-576-5734; www.equifax.com

Experian: 1-888-397-3742; www.experian.com/fraud

TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289; www.transunion.com

*I used the link above: www.experian.com/fraud -- and it worked just fine. ~Wings