VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do The Math

Guest phubai70

Guest phubai70

They say information on 26,500,000 [26 and a half MILLION] was compromised. My name ssn and birthday

create an excel file of 14kb or a word file of 19kb. Some one out there savvy in computer media storage

capabilities give me a realistic idea of how many Veteran Files could be stolen by disc. I'm no whiz but even at 90% compression I'm thinking maybe less than one half of one million. He would have had to walk out with over 52 discs....Help me out...maybe I missed something..........

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda thought the same thing. The way it is being stated it sounds like a laptop and one disk. Had to have been a lot more than that.

Also, there initially was some conflicting statements being made. It was stated one place that only those that were discharged after 1976 could be affected. In another article, it stated this same thing and also that veterans that filed any claims after this time could also be affected. What are we to really believe? Why have a lot of veterans upset when they may not even be affected by this.

I think that there still is a lot of information that is still being withheld from the veterans in the hope that these disks are found and then everything would be okay and the rest of the details would never have to be released.

If we cannot even rely on our government to secure this type of data, what do we have to look forward to with our Homeland Security team.

Very scary........

mssoup1

• HadIt.com Elder

The reality is that Nicholson sold them, to get more money for the VA budget.

The story about the 'trusted' employee, and theft, judt doesn't hold up!

Guest Dataman

It could be very easily done with Portable HD (USB HD). They come in 500gb size and soon 750gb. Or just a DVD (4.5g) or DVD +DL (8.5g).

Floppies are useless. Heck DVD is almost useless for when I backup my photo's from Camera (12mb per pic).

• Founder

here's the math i'm unclear on, 26.5 million veterans? yes we probably do have 26.5 million veterans but are they all in the VA system ,that seems unlikely, where did the data come from on the rest of the veterans the DOD and if it did, why? that's what i want to know anyone out there know?

They say information on 26,500,000 [26 and a half MILLION] was compromised. My name ssn and birthday

create an excel file of 14kb or a word file of 19kb. Some one out there savvy in computer media storage

capabilities give me a realistic idea of how many Veteran Files could be stolen by disc. I'm no whiz but even at 90% compression I'm thinking maybe less than one half of one million. He would have had to walk out with over 52 discs....Help me out...maybe I missed something..........