VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Ssi Help - Appointment Tomorrow

Rate this question

Cm Burns

Question

I have my ssi appoint tomorrow. I need to figure out how much they will give me for the months that i was waiting for ssdi. I am assuming these are the months they will pay me for ssi. The question I have it what to expect tomorrow and what they will want to look at. I have a copy of last 2 mths water and ele bill. I was homeless before that. I have a copy of the eviction i was served back in november. Can you guys give me an idea of how long this will take and what they will ask me. Also what they will want to see and how long from this appointment will they have my ssi configured and pay me. They are saying they cannot determine my ssdi back pay until this meething. I was also told you have to have a seperate account for this money to go in. is this true. I have an act i gave them and the only thing that comes there is my child support which is the only income i have. Please advise....

Thnx in advance.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I have my ssi appoint tomorrow. I need to figure out how much they will give me for the months that i was waiting for ssdi. I am assuming these are the months they will pay me for ssi. The question I have it what to expect tomorrow and what they will want to look at. I have a copy of last 2 mths water and ele bill. I was homeless before that. I have a copy of the eviction i was served back in november. Can you guys give me an idea of how long this will take and what they will ask me. Also what they will want to see and how long from this appointment will they have my ssi configured and pay me. They are saying they cannot determine my ssdi back pay until this meething. I was also told you have to have a seperate account for this money to go in. is this true. I have an act i gave them and the only thing that comes there is my child support which is the only income i have. Please advise....

Thnx in advance.

What does the separate account for this money involve? Are you required to have a representative payee, or no? I used to work for them, but it's been some time, so not up to date on what may be different now, but there's a lot of information on their website: www.SSA.gov

What I do remember, for the SSI, is since this is an income/resources based program, they are looking to see what you're responsible for paying for allowed expenses, such as rent, utilities, etc. From what I remember, if one is living with someone else, it is best to have one's own share of the rent, not be living rent free, and meals separately, or they would figure the amounts due to be less. If you have your own place, that should not be a problem. It is a requirement for the benefit amount to be figured out by them, before they will put you into pay status, so just take whatever receipts you may have. If you have children, they used to require proof of school attendance, if school age. Depending on the claims representative, it should not be too long before you have your money.

I know it's so difficult to wait, but it's just a process that they require, so it'll be over soon. Good luck to you!!

Before I got my award from the VA, my wife and I lived off her SSI. They wanted an accounting of our income which was VA 50% SC, and deducted that from the amount that they would pay a disabled individual with spouse. So I suppose they will deduct the child support from your SSI amount, but I am not 100% sure. They also want a copy of all your assets, and if you have too much property then they will do more adjusting. We had also been evicted and didn't have much in assets, so it didn't affect our payment at all. However, once I got my 100% SC, then we went over the upper amount they had, and she lost her SSI completely.

Hope this helps - don't worry too much about it.

Had my appointment today. Wasn't so bad they didnt actually ask to see any of my bills. They said I should see some money soon. But my kids check (they went ahead and added them) Their funds will not be 50% of my check as I was told... its like 1/4 of it. I will let you guys know when I actually have a deposit.

I got ssi for just may and june and then for july my ssdi starts. I will know more when I get my award letters but she said my first check should be today and it is 30 to 60 days for ssdi back pay.

thnx so much people here for your help

Before I got my award from the VA, my wife and I lived off her SSI. They wanted an accounting of our income which was VA 50% SC, and deducted that from the amount that they would pay a disabled individual with spouse. So I suppose they will deduct the child support from your SSI amount, but I am not 100% sure. They also want a copy of all your assets, and if you have too much property then they will do more adjusting. We had also been evicted and didn't have much in assets, so it didn't affect our payment at all. However, once I got my 100% SC, then we went over the upper amount they had, and she lost her SSI completely.

Hope this helps - don't worry too much about it.

Did you also get a check from your wifes ssi. Is there not a dependant benefit to ssi. Please advise.

I was at 50% SC and was my wife's dependent for her SSI.

Congratulations.

Did you also get a check from your wifes ssi. Is there not a dependant benefit to ssi. Please advise.

There was not a dependent's benefit with SSI and I don't believe that has changed. That would be with SSDI, which is not the same program, except for the determination of disabilities from DDS (Disability Determination Section).