Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependents

Rate this question

cooter

Question

Yesterday I was at the local RO reviewing my c:file and came across VA Form 21-526 which had all the info about my marriage, name, SSN, etc. I filled that out in 2003 so I could get comp. for being married. At the time I was rated 0% and knew I had to be at least 30% to be elegible. I was awarded 30% in 2008 but still being

rated as single with no dependents till this day. I just recently applied again for dependents. Should'nt they had automaticly awarded me being married when I got

the 30% or did I had to reapply?

!!!BROKEN ARROW!!!

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

you should know by now that the VA does not go digging for old copies of stuff the good news is they will pay you the back pay to your award date for your dependents that are still eligible for benefits now but they will probably ask again for copies of your marriage license and birth certificates for the kids and proof they are still living or in school like old evidence and old records they may very well be in your file some place but they will not look on their own without finger poking you will get all the money they owe you though

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

Dependency information is only good for one year. When you received your 30% they asked you for information on your dependents. You had one year from the notification to file attached form.

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Jimmy V

you should know by now that the VA does not go digging for old copies of stuff the good news is they will pay you the back pay to your award date for your dependents that are still eligible for benefits now but they will probably ask again for copies of your marriage license and birth certificates for the kids and proof they are still living or in school like old evidence and old records they may very well be in your file some place but they will not look on their own without finger poking you will get all the money they owe you though

OK thanks Testvet. But I'm still confused. you said I can and Sharon just said I can't.

!!!BROKEN ARROW!!!

Dependency information is only good for one year. When you received your 30% they asked you for information on your dependents. You had one year from the notification to file attached form.

So what your saying is when they sent me my package awarding 30%, thats when they asked for the info?

!!!BROKEN ARROW!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

if you had money for dependents owed to you why wait for more than a eyar before asking questions about it who was your Service Officer or handled your claim why didn't you ask them when did you get granted your 30% or higher award? Most vets are asking the very next month and really mad after about 3-4 months I haven't ever heard of a vet who waited more than a year to ask about dependent compensation before and I have been on this board for almost a decade I am not sure on the rules and how far back they will pay you now either one year or from the date you file the right forms or back to the date of award this is all NEW territory to me

I haven't ever heard of anyone owed money from the govt waiting more than 12 months to ask about it though I am 55 years old today and you taught me something new you must really believe the feds when you hear " we are from the govt and we are here to help you" the govt only helps those who demand it

I don't even know where to look for the regs on this one maybe James Brekenridge can answer this one

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

The reason they request a new 686c after one year is because, but not limited to: death, divorce and additional dependents.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:3lYzsuXHvqIJ:www.warms.vba.va.gov/admin21/m21_1/mr/part3/subptiii/ch05/ch05_secb.doc+21-686c+development&cd=29&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Check you notification letter. It should have stated that you are being paid as a single veteran. It also should have listed additional benefits i.e., voc rehab, medical treatment, and an application for dependency (21-686c). It would have stated that if the application was received within 1 year of the notification letter your dependents would be added efftective the date of our award. If this was not included in the notification your dependents can be added going back to that effective date. Otherwise you will be denied based on failure to prosecute.

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp08/files3/0819294.txt

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp09/files1/0909682.txt

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Jimmy V