• donate-be-a-hero.png

Alan Simpson Has His Knives Sharpened For Agent Orange Victims

Rate this question

allan

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Alan Simpson Has His Knives Sharpened for Agent Orange Victims

September 3, 2010 posted by Michael Leon ·

- Oh, I’m sorry, are our veterans’ illnesses inconvenient for you, Alan Simpson? -

By Steve Benen in the Washinton Monthly

MAYBE ALAN SIMPSON SHOULD ENJOY A LITTLE QUIET TIME FOR A WHILE…. It was encouraging to see the Obama administration make it easier for veterans affected by Agent Orange to receive disability payments. This is a worthwhile move, and it reinforces the fact that this administration is committed to doing right by those who wear the uniform.

It was far less encouraging when Alan Simpson decided it was a good time to start mouthing off again.

The system that automatically awards disability benefits to some veterans because of concerns about Agent Orange seems contrary to efforts to control federal spending, the Republican co-chairman of President Barack Obama’s deficit commission said Tuesday.

Former Wyoming Sen. Alan Simpson’s comments came a day after The Associated Press reported that diabetes has become the most frequently compensated ailment among Vietnam veterans, even though decades of research has failed to find more than a possible link between the defoliant Agent Orange and diabetes.

"The irony (is) that the veterans who saved this country are now, in a way, not helping us to save the country in this fiscal mess," said Simpson, an Army veteran who was once chairman of the Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee.

Oh, I’m sorry, are our veterans’ illnesses inconvenient for you, Alan Simpson?

Simpson’s opinions matter, of course, because he’s currently the co-chair of the White House’s bipartisan National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform, which is considering a variety of areas of the budget that may need "trimming." It’s also the second time in as many weeks as the former Republican senator has caused a stir with his big mouth — last week, in a letter he later apologized for, Simpson compared Social Security to a "milk cow with 310 million tits."

While I appreciate this was arguably a crude take on a common metaphor, the remarks raised legitimate questions, not only about Simpson’s temperament and judgment, but also about his commitment to the Social Security system.

And now he’s at it again.

As for the substance of Simpson’s concerns, Zaid Jilani notes, "Given that the VA estimates that providing care for veterans exposed to Agent Orange would cost only $67 billion over the next decade, it is difficult to imagine why Simpson would see the program as prime for cost-cutting."

Source: http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/09/03/alan-simpson-has-his-knives-sharpened-for-agent-orange-victims/

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Simpson is part of the group in America that believes that the old, children and the disabled should pay to help finance the banks and Wall Street gangsters. It is fine for the tax payers to finance the gigantic crap game in our financial markets, but not one penny for the poor or disabled. That makes people dependent.

You can find any answer to any question in Washington.

And flipping is a popular hobby.

Personally, I believe the Simpson character has a powerful group behind him and his disregard for Veteran's health care.

All politicians have an obligation to whoever financed their election campaigns.

Even the un-elected ones will usually have enough residual influence to be noticed when make-work political jobs are up for grabs.

After serving one term in office, everybody in both houses have their pensions set-up for life.

While serving, the elected all have to turn over their business interests to somebody else while the elected person serves.

That makes the politician a silent partner in their own business interest.

An easy way to boost their bottom line is to leave the business set-up alone after becoming un-elected and go out among'm to find something else to do.

LOBBYING.

Use their 'gift of the gab' to influence to disrespect the disabled, after they became disabled while in service to their country, is a favorite way of getting noticed by the lobbyists who are always looking for a new and better mouthpiece.

One of the more popular arguments against disabled veterans is telling how badly those lazy veterans are getting money that they don't deserve, keeping other more deserving vets from getting their own legitimately earned benefits.

Even if fraud were actually a real problem caused by faking disabled veterans, which it's not, thousands of fraudulent claimants, which have never been identified, would not and could not effect the earned benefits of 'one' other veteran.

The 'veteran's fraud issue' simply does not exist.

The Department of Veterans Affairs 'employees fraud' has been shown to exist in many different cases.

The system is being worked by it's own employees, not the veterans that the system is supposed to be caring for.

Benefits FRAUD does not effect the availability of VA benefits to anybody.

But, by making this non-issue something to cause the population to worry about, politicians working for their own individual concerns are reporting a highly exaggerated problem and strongly insinuating the wrong group as the only possible, responsible party.

There ain't no priority list that describes the order in which individual veterans get their benefits.

However, there is an almost 'religious observation' of the 'BUDGET' as the politicians lie to explain why veterans are not being medically treated and generally deprived of their earned benefits.

By law, the so-called budget is only a rough guideline and is subject to modification at the whim of the Secretary of Veterans Affairs.

Veterans are obviously not milking the system with any kind of fraud and the VA employee fraud is a negligible influence upon the total amount of funds available to the VA system for medical treatment and 'wages lost' compensation.

Simpson is paid to make us look bad and we do not deserve that kind of description from anyone, particularly from someone associated with the government.

Simpson is a talented liar who has no respect for anyone other than himself.

Dangle a check in front of him and he will inadvertently blurt out, "Who do I have to kill".

Pictures of money probably cause him to break out in a sweat.

Simpson is not identifying a problem or offering a solution to a problem.

He is the problem.

sledge

Those that need help the most are the ones least likely to receive help from the VA.

It's up to us to help each other.

sledge twkelly@hotmail.com

• HadIt.com Elder

DARN, Sledge! That was a very well written and insightful observation. I'd like to send that to my congressman, Sam Johnson...........he would enjoy it, I'm sure!

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

• HadIt.com Elder

It is the duty of young high school graduates to be killed and wounded so that men like Simpson can continue to enjoy the fruits of this great democracy. Veterans should be proud to be able to offer up their bodies as a sacrifice to their betters. Ungrateful rabble!