Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Presumptives - Arthritis

Rate this question

Vync

Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

The 'presumptives' page here on Hadit indicates that if a Veteran is diagnosed with arthritis within one year after discharge, then it is considered a presumptive condition.

If someone was diagnosed with arthritis while in the service, do they still need to be diagnosed with arthritis again within one year after discharge in order for the presumptive to apply?

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

The 'presumptives' page here on Hadit indicates that if a Veteran is diagnosed with arthritis within one year after discharge, then it is considered a presumptive condition.

If someone was diagnosed with arthritis while in the service, do they still need to be diagnosed with arthritis again within one year after discharge in order for the presumptive to apply?

I have always understood that if something is noted in your SMR and you have continued treatment after it is Service Connected. I don't believe a time period would apply under this situation.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Vync,

Check out 38 CFR 3.309

http://edocket.acces.../38cfr3.309.htm

Aha... It's right here. Thanks!

Sec. 3.309 Disease subject to presumptive service connection. (a) Chronic diseases. The following diseases shall be granted service connection although not otherwise established as incurred in or aggravated by service if manifested to a compensable degree within the applicable time limits under Sec. 3.307 following service in a period of war or following peacetime service on or after January 1, 1947, provided the rebuttable presumption provisions of Sec. 3.307 are also satisfied.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.