VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bilateral Factor

Rate this question

Guest jangrin

Question

Guest jangrin

Good Mornig ALL,

I downloaded and read the DM training letter. It states diabetic neuropathy as secondary condition. When PN is dx and SC to DMII, how is the rating done and specifically how is the "bilateral factor" applied in determining a rating? Thanks.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

jangrin

That is a good question since I was rated 10% for both arms and legs for PN but the bilateral factor was not taken into account. I believe I should have been rated as 21% for arms and 21% for legs. I wonder if it is worth filing on that since I am 80% TDIU?

• HadIt.com Elder
jangrin

That is a good question since I was rated 10% for both arms and legs for PN but the bilateral factor was not taken into account. I believe I should have been rated as 21% for arms and 21% for legs. I wonder if it is worth filing on that since I am 80% TDIU?

John,

You wouldn't get 21% for each set of limbs. You COMBINE all four 10s for a value of 34 then add 10% for a total of 37.4.

In most cas4es the bilateral factor is incorporated in your overall rating, even when they don't specifically show it; however, you should check on it!

Guest terrysturgis

The C&P I had for PN kinda addresses the Bilaterial factor because the exam checks each extremity, IF REQUESTED. I did not file for upper body till later in my claim, my mistake. The Bilaterial factor gets appilied at the rating board upon service connection of the PN. I requested Bilaterial on my claim for PN as I did not think the VA would automatically apply it if not requested. Terry Sturgis

• HadIt.com Elder

Wally and Terry

If the VA had combined the 4 10%'s as Wally says I should have been made 100% instead of 80% so I don't think the VA considered the bilateral factor in my case. I wonder if this might be worth having the VA look at this again.

Guest jangrin
Wally and Terry

If the VA had combined the 4 10%'s as Wally says I should have been made 100% instead of 80% so I don't think the VA considered the bilateral factor in my case. I wonder if this might be worth having the VA look at this again.

Hi John999,

Thanks for your imput. The best that I understand this is....the doc does his exam on each extremity. Upper body (hands, arms, shoulders), and lower extremities, (legs, kness, hips, feet). since upper body and lower body are seperate for the sake of this exam each quadrant can be rated at a different amount. So ideally you could have one foot be a 10% and the other be a 20% AND EACH HAND BE A 10%. Then given the bilateral (i believe is for ones inability to use the body systems together in a normal fashion, ie walking, holding, grasping, these require both body members in order to do things properly)therefore becaause of mal-function you can be awarded another 10%. John999, personally I think you should apply for everything you are entitled to, even if it is only 10% (or less) with VA math. It is a certqainity,that as we age these problems will increase and become more severe. Best to get the bilateral now and then later if things progress more you can file for the increase in symptoms. Just a thought.

Jangrin :unsure:

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks maybe I will do that. My feet and now my upper extremities hurt all the time. I have fallen down because of my feet. I walk even though it hurts but my feet become dead after a while and I have to be careful of not tripping and falling down.