• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bilateral Factor

Rate this question

Guest jangrin

Question

Guest jangrin

Good Mornig ALL,

I downloaded and read the DM training letter. It states diabetic neuropathy as secondary condition. When PN is dx and SC to DMII, how is the rating done and specifically how is the "bilateral factor" applied in determining a rating? Thanks.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Guest terrysturgis

John999, I thought you were 100% TDIU P&T as am I and I am staying away from the system as there is nothing for me to gain. I am at 94% and had a NOD for HBP that I am sure I could win based on information given to me by Berta but my SO suggested that now I am 100% to drop it and I did. Others on the board have said to persue the NOD and maybe I am wrong but I am tired of dealing with it.

The only other advantage to 100% schedular would be the ability to earn income. I do still hold the part time ellected position that I have held for 10 years that pays below the poverty ( $700.00 per month ) and it helps to keep me busy. Terry Sturgis

Terry

You have a big issue here to make a decision on and it seems like maybe you have already made it.

My husband also received 100% TDIU/P&T and was lucky because at the same time he received this, his claim for hypertension was approved as well, but 0%. But, that was okay, because he did get service connection for the hypertension. His claim was made retro back to 2001. This means he is now 5 years into the 10 years he needs which would allow me to draw DIC in the event something happened to him. But, since they service connected him for hypertension, God forbid, if something happened to him before the next 5 years are up and it can be related to his hypertension, then I can draw some money from the VA,

This is at least my take on what I have heard. If this is not right, then please someone correct me.

I do understand that since Terry is 100%, he doesn't want to screw this up by continuing with the hypertension claim.

mssoup1

• HadIt.com Elder

Terry

If I had a service-connected disease that might kill me I would file on it even though I am TDIU P&T.

The reason being the ten year rule for your spouse to get DIC. I am P&T so I don't think I will file on anything again right away unless it is something that could lead to my sudden death. I want my wife to get DIC so I can rest in my grave knowing the VA is paying.