Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pending Federal Disability Retirement

Rate this question

Watchdog311

Question

I work for the Post Office.I have 70% from VA. I am putting in for a disability retirement based on two of my physical disability ratings. Do I have to wait until OPM separates me from the PO before I can file for 100% IU from the VA or can I put in my IU claim now since I am on LWOP.

And since I am on LWOP right now, will putting in a OWCP claim against the PO for non-service related injuries... depression, stress, anxiety, panic attacks, etc. affect whether I can put in for my IU from the VA too or the OPM disability retirement?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Go ahead and file for IU. Depending on the backlog of claims with your RO, it could take a year for your claim to go through. You might also want to file for Social Security Disability as well. You can use the evidence to support your claim for SSDI and Disability Retirement and IU.

I work for the Post Office.I have 70% from VA. I am putting in for a disability retirement based on two of my physical disability ratings. Do I have to wait until OPM separates me from the PO before I can file for 100% IU from the VA or can I put in my IU claim now since I am on LWOP.

And since I am on LWOP right now, will putting in a OWCP claim against the PO for non-service related injuries... depression, stress, anxiety, panic attacks, etc. affect whether I can put in for my IU from the VA too or the OPM disability retirement?

I disagree with etihwr, because you're still employed by the USPS. The IU paperwork will ask about employement and you will be lying otherwise.

JMO,

Bergie

• HadIt.com Elder

While you are collecting OWCP you can file for OPM and when you get it you can choose to continue to collect OWCP. Once your OPM is approved then you can file for TDIU but it must be solely for VA disabilites. You want to keep your OWCP, OPM and VA evidence separate if you can. Keep the claims separate and use separate doctors if possible. OWCP will want to know about any VA disability. It gets complicated, but as soon as your OPM is approved you should file for IU. If you are not working for the USPS anymore or have been fired due to disability you can file for IU.

You can put in the claim now, but if you get IU, the date will be the last day of work. if you have day to use where you are getting paid, they count as working. IU will start after all of that has ran out. Keep in mind they will look at everything so if you have a NON-SC illness making you to stop work it might keep you from getting IU.

While you are collecting OWCP you can file for OPM and when you get it you can choose to continue to collect OWCP. Once your OPM is approved then you can file for TDIU but it must be solely for VA disabilites. You want to keep your OWCP, OPM and VA evidence separate if you can. Keep the claims separate and use separate doctors if possible. OWCP will want to know about any VA disability. It gets complicated, but as soon as your OPM is approved you should file for IU. If you are not working for the USPS anymore or have been fired due to disability you can file for IU.