VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim , Form 21-4142 & Other Questions!

Rate this question

mrs rockman (widow of vet)

Question

Let me briefly let you know what is going on with my husband's PTSD Claim.

09/10/10- David's first visit with the VA MH lady.

10/04/10 - PTSD claim shows opened. **We figurered that this is the date she entered him in the system. He was diagnosed with

PTSD.

10/21/10- we sent in form 21-0781 & form 21-4138 with the VA docs address and phone number.

10/26/10- letter from VA stating that they received his application for compensation-with large number-maybe delayed some.

01/04/11- letter from VA saying that they are working on his claim for PTSD. They need evidence so support the claim.

Called DAV (next door to RO claims) and they do not worry about it- it was only a duty to assist.

01/14/11- saw on eBenefits that no 21-4138 or 21-0781 were listed and no other medical records listed. The 800# did an IRIS

01/21/11- RO

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Let me briefly let you know what is going on with my husband's PTSD Claim.

09/10/10- David's first visit with the VA MH lady.

10/04/10 - PTSD claim shows opened. **We figurered that this is the date she entered him in the system. He was diagnosed with

PTSD.

10/21/10- we sent in form 21-0781 & form 21-4138 with the VA docs address and phone number.

10/26/10- letter from VA stating that they received his application for compensation-with large number-maybe delayed some.

01/04/11- letter from VA saying that they are working on his claim for PTSD. They need evidence so support the claim.

Called DAV (next door to RO claims) and they do not worry about it- it was only a duty to assist.

01/14/11- saw on eBenefits that no 21-4138 or 21-0781 were listed and no other medical records listed. The 800# did an IRIS

01/21/11- RO

SORRY-THE SITE CRASHED AND WENT ON AND POSTED THIS!!

01/21/11 DAV called and said to send them in all of the forms again and they would walk them over. You see our DAV man retired and I cannot get an answer as to who exactly will be doing our claims, even though we have one for right now. I faxed it to them & they said they sent it over to claims.

Everytime they do work for us, we get a letter. We never got o ne for the October '10 PTSD claim filing.

01/24/11- VA claims man called and said they did not have any record of the 2 forms being sent and to fax it to him. I did along with the 21-4138 that I wrote concerning how my husband is living with PTSD- for 39 years and now getting the help he needs.

01/26/11- I called the local VSO and he told me that since this claim was separate from the AO claim, that we had to do a 21-4142 to release the information.

Why would VA say that they do not have any record of a PTSD claim when we have received 2 letters from them? ? I can see the no medical evidence aspect of it, but not the other.

OK- when we do the 21-4142 form,can I, being his wife, fill it out as the claimant?

Why do I have to put my social security number?

Section II- how do we l ist dates of treatment. You cannot type in from Sept. '10 to present?

If I can do it, should I have it notorized? I have third part authorization with claims. That only took from 07/03/10 to 01/01/11. What speedy service!!

Mrs. Rockman

Maybe ebenefits is behind not sure.

Maybe so, but VA itself should have his records somewhere in the place. I did get the 21-4142 done. I guess I will have him do it. Right after I posted this, I found another form that would allow me to put the dates that I wanted to put.

Maybe so, but VA itself should have his records somewhere in the place. I did get the 21-4142 done. I guess I will have him do it. Right after I posted this, I found another form that would allow me to put the dates that I wanted to put.

I have in the past Faxed my forms direct to the RO's but I have not used a VSO for my claims since I was 40% back in 03 I think.

if you fax to the RO you MUST fax to the VSO also or he/she will drop you. Oh and you have to get their approval.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have in the past Faxed my forms direct to the RO's but I have not used a VSO for my claims since I was 40% back in 03 I think.

if you fax to the RO you MUST fax to the VSO also or he/she will drop you. Oh and you have to get their approval.

Well, you don't HAVE to get their approval, but, it helps to have someone look your stuff over..........they won't "drop you", or at least they are not supposed to drop you. They aren't SUPPOSE to DROP anybody. But, it sure makes it hard to represent someone who is sending things in to the VA that you do not KNOW about. It's hard enough to keep up with a bunch of different claims when YOU YOURSELF are doing all the sending in and receiving correspondence in return.

But, YOU ARE YOUR OWN BEST REPRESENTATIVE.....as long as you know what you are doing.....if you don't, then you may as well make an appointment with the podiatrist...........'cause you WILL wind up, eventually, SHOOTIN' YERSELF IN THE FOOT!

if you don't know what yer doin', that is

just sayin'.........

Edited by LarryJ

Well, you don't HAVE to get their approval, but, it helps to have someone look your stuff over..........they won't "drop you", or at least they are not supposed to drop you. They aren't SUPPOSE to DROP anybody. But, it sure makes it hard to represent someone who is sending things in to the VA that you do not KNOW about. It's hard enough to keep up with a bunch of different claims when YOU YOURSELF are doing all the sending in and receiving correspondence in return.

But, YOU ARE YOUR OWN BEST REPRESENTATIVE.....as long as you know what you are doing.....if you don't, then you may as well make an appointment with the podiatrist...........'cause you WILL wind up, eventually, SHOOTIN' YERSELF IN THE FOOT!

if you don't know what yer doin', that is

just sayin'.........

LarryJ,

Guess what- I can forget about having to make a podiatrist appointment for me or for Rockman! Advice greatly appreciated.

On Monday I faxed the RO and also the DAV the form 21-0781 & also 21-4138. This was the second time that I sent it to DAV.

I have also faxed the ROand the DAV the 10-26-10 & 01-04-11 the VA letters acknowledging the PTSD claim.

Yesterday I faxed the RO the 21-4142. Thanks to your suggestion- I will fax the DAV this form also today.

I looked on eBenefits just a minute ago and they now show the 21-0781 , 21-4138, & also iris form. Maybe by the end of the week it will have the 21-4142.

You are so right- I have done all of the research and all they really do (DAV) is just to be the third party and work hard at walking the info next door and keeping themselves a copy. I will make sure they get all copies. Keep 'um happy!

I have alot to learn here on Hadit, but this site is so useful. I have to ask a bunch of questions, but that is okay.

Rockman goes for his PTSD C & P on March 8th. Is there anything that we need to do before then? We want to make sure he is fully "equipped"!

His last day of work is right after the 31st of March and after a full pay period ends.

He was hoping to get a PTSD rating before then. He may have, if the VA had scanned in the information from October 2010.

He will be getting letters from his bosses stating how the PTSD has really affected his job performance. The VA Mental Health lady wants to see later if he is capable of still working with the PTSD. I see so much of drastic downturn with him, but he is making sure he does not miss a session. This is a good thing.

You have to be your own advocate and watch out for yourself-it works this way!

Mrs. Rockman