Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bi-Polar

Rate this question

gnj1119

Question

I was just recently on active duty where I was given a diagnosis of bi-polar type 1. I was previously receiving 20% for an ankle and toe injury. I have a total of 8 years. I was active duty from 1993-1998. I was chaptered out for pattern of misconduct. Things like not shaving, excessive dept. things of that nature. I was commissioned in 2008. I have been mobilized from 2009 til the end of 2010. When I was diagnosed the active component REFRAD me and sent me back to my unit. My reserve unit is now de-activating. Now the army is sending me to the IRR. My psychiatrist recommended a MED board. I am about to just resign my commission because the stress and anxiety of having to deal with the system is too much to deal with. My concern is that I have a brother that is Bi-polar and the VA may say that it is not service connected. I have excellent OER's and My enlisted record is also pretty decent. I received an AAM 1 week before my Chapter 14 in 1998. If there was not any documentation or need for treatment prior to being diagnosed on active duty will this qualify for SC disability.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Ah, that helps clear things up. Sorry for the discourse on reservist issues. Didn't know your 'back-story'. I would still question the demob portion; they should have kept you on orders until your treatment/condition stabilized. That is, unless you want to go home (I get that) and work with your own providers. I think they sold you short by profiling you v. MEB - probably due to your career field. We're always short medical specialties.

The question is: do you want to continue? Being profiled = no promotions, reassignments, etc. It may be best to have a break from the service (that's of course between you and yours). If you decide to stay, you can voluntarily go into the IRR, and (should be able to) re-enter active reserve status at a later date.

Glad to hear you're getting help. Hang in there. Bipolar is nothing to toy around with as you well know, and it has taken a few years to get things under control. Several med changes, lots of appointments with the psych, etc. (you already know what this looks like, I'm sure). You're in a unique position, for sure - just on the inside looking out. Please know you have support here when you just need to read, get outside yourself, etc. These forums have helped me a great deal during those 'bad periods' that just don't seem to end. People here are very supportive. Check out the Social Chat as well - you might find some humor in there...

Either way, welcome and please let me know if you have any reserve-specific questions. I'll run them to ground as best I can for you.

I was just recently on active duty where I was given a diagnosis of bi-polar type 1. I was previously receiving 20% for an ankle and toe injury. I have a total of 8 years. I was active duty from 1993-1998. I was chaptered out for pattern of misconduct. Things like not shaving, excessive dept. things of that nature. I was commissioned in 2008. I have been mobilized from 2009 til the end of 2010. When I was diagnosed the active component REFRAD me and sent me back to my unit. My reserve unit is now de-activating. Now the army is sending me to the IRR. My psychiatrist recommended a MED board. I am about to just resign my commission because the stress and anxiety of having to deal with the system is too much to deal with. My concern is that I have a brother that is Bi-polar and the VA may say that it is not service connected. I have excellent OER's and My enlisted record is also pretty decent. I received an AAM 1 week before my Chapter 14 in 1998. If there was not any documentation or need for treatment prior to being diagnosed on active duty will this qualify for SC disability.

AD psych look at PB before PTSD, file a claim for PTSD go for the MEB. fight it until it is 30% or more. then you will get the retirement Bennie's.

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to hadit.com

Bipolar may not be hereditary, but is common with head injurys, and conditions like MS. Have you and your brother recieved TBI's or head injuries during your deployment?

I've been taking Depacote for over three yrs with good results for the depression and Mania. Also take buspar for anxiety.