VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is There A Rating Criteria For Allergies To Medicines?

Rate this question

lt4ds

Question

I was stationed at NAF Atsugi in Japan for 3 years (1993-1996), during which time the (SIC) Shinkampo Incinerator Complex was in full operation, spewing a variety of toxins in the air on base. During my tour there, I developed allergies to Bynadryl and other histamine blockers. I had a a very serious incident at 1 point, about 14 hours in the ER at Camp Zama, and 3 weeks SIQ for the reaction to Bynadryl. I also developed other physical problems, including a persistent rash on my face and over the years since my assigment there, I have experienced other health issues that I am filing claims for.

the question I have concerns the allergies to Bynadryl and histamine blockers. I have searched through the e-cfr site trying to find the applicable codes for allergies to medicines. I haven't been able to locate anything that would apply and need some help. I know there are people on this site that are very knowledgable about the codes and hope someone can offer some help. Thanks in advance for any help, if this isn't the correct forum please tell me which 1 I should post in.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You will not find a diagnostic code for "allergy to Bynadryl". What you will find are diagnostic codes for the actual physical symptoms that are associated with these allergy(s). And, that is what you need to file a claim for, listing all your medical treatment in service, from the reactions thereto.

The reason WHY you were treated for these allergic reactions should not make a difference. In other words, do not dwell upon the incinerator and it's "off-gassing" by-products...........because that will not do your claim any good, just stick with the facts as indicated in your Service Medical Treatment records.

If you have all these records and if you have a "nexus" connecting the current symptoms and the time that you spent in service, and any treatment that you have received for these symptoms since discharge, then file a form #21-526EZ (Fully Developed Claim).

I developed allergies to Bynadryl and other histamine blockers. I had a a very serious incident at 1 point, about 14 hours in the ER at Camp Zama, and 3 weeks SIQ for the reaction to Bynadryl. I also developed other physical problems, including a persistent rash on my face and over the years since my assigment there, I have experienced other health issues that I am filing claims for.

the question I have concerns the allergies to Bynadryl and histamine blockers.

It4ds,

I don't see getting SC'd for an allergy to Benadryl or any other medication.

Also there would need to be ongoing residual side effects.

An allergic reaction to something from 1993-1996 would not still be giving you the rash of today.

JMHO

You must list the condition, not the symptoms. If they are listed in your service medical records then you have a claim. You can also request a claim for "secondary conditions" that are connected to your primary sercie connected conditions.

Thank you for the responses, I understand what you are saying about the symptoms and the actual condition. I am still allergic to all histamine blockers, so I would need to address each of the symptoms, hives, irratic heart rate, irratic blood pressure, labored breathing, swelling of the tongue. Of course, I avoid anything that will cause a repeat of the Anaphylactic shock, meaning I avoid histamine blockers at all cost, so the documentation consists mostly of of the drug allergy listed in medical records, and not active reactions to anything.

I also understand your point of not focusing on the "cause", but in this case I think it is pertinent to the subject matter. the The out gasing of the incinerator resulted in personal on-going physical side effects (typical of exposure to specific toxins released and documented by the DOD at NAF Atsugi, including Dioxins, Furans and heavy metals). Some of the symptoms were immeditate including the allergy, facial rash, and others have been gradual, diabetes, neuropathy, unusual liver and thyroid functions, and other problems. The out gassing and the resulting medical conditions in personnel stationed there have been the subject of congressional hearings and a bill (Senate bill S.3378 ) passed to address the issue. Recently the VA issued a training letter (VA training letter 10-03 Enviromental Hazards in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Other Military Installations) that includes NAF Atsugi personnel and the fact sheets concerning the exposure.

Thanks guys for the responses, it will help knowing that I will have to find each of the symptoms and address them individually.