Question

• HadIt.com Elder

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Yea, it sounds real macho to make troops carry 100 pound packs for miles.

However, instead of making troops tougher, they are actually causing them injuries...sometimes permanent injuries.

My son, who recently got back from Iraq, told me the same thing...that several of his buddies were injured because they made them carry too heavy of packs for too far.

Sometimes I wish the military would "grow up"...I am sure you notice they have very few wise old men in the military..most of us "smart ones" got out and are Vets now...after we got a lot older and wiser.

Of course, tho, the dumbest ones are the ones who THINK they are smart. I dont think I am so smart anymore.

• HadIt.com Elder

Going up and down hills or through swamps and jungle with 100 lbs on your back is torture especially when the 19 year old soldier is about 150 lbs soaking wet. This is a snapshot of Vietnam.

• HadIt.com Elder

Tell me about it. I broke both my feet, one in boot camp, the other in Marine Combat Training. Little did I know I guess I had pes cavus. So after 4 years of hiking a pack and running up the hills (mountains) of Camp Pendleton I lost my body. I remember the chants of suck it up Marine. Pain is just weakness leaving the body. Get the F**k up the hill.

Now just about 20 years after entering boot camp I have had two failed back surgeries including an L3-S1 fusion with titanium cages, severe bliateral pes cavus, severe bilateral equinus, severe lower extremity issues including muscle wasting and atrophy, arthritis in my feet, weakness and severe pain in my feet, and severe back and leg pain 24/7. The 3 mg of Ativan, 180 mg of Morphine, and 120 mg of Oxycodone a day I take barely touch the pain. I have a spinal stimulator which takes a little bit off my legs when they are cramping and the pain is severe. I may have had some kind of genetic defects in my feet but prior to service I was just fine.

Semper Fi do or Die Gung Ho Ho

USMC 1st Battalion 1st Marines 1st Marine Division 91-95

100% P&T

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation."

George Washington