VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Wriisc

Rate this question

mpara

Question

Greetings all!

Has anyone out there been to the War Related Illness and Injury Study Center (WRIISC) that can share any information? I have a Vet who is seriously considering attending for Gulf War Illness related conditions and am trying to help gather as much information as possible. Her concerns include:

1. What is the average duration of stay?
  2. How effective are they in educating and assisting Veterans dealing better with their illnesses?
  3. Has anyone had their service connected disability percentage adversely effected by participating?
  4. Are they actually acknowledging and dealing with conditions better than standard VA Primary Care physicians?
  5. Can a Veteran receive any compensation while attending to offset lost income while participating?
We would appreciate anyone out there who can answer any of the above or who may have any other insight or concern regarding participating in this program.

Thanks much

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

My husband went to the WRIISC in DC several years ago. He stayed 2 nights. It was very positive in that they were very supportive and kind and treated him with respect. They did test he wouldn't have otherwise gotten at the time (brain scans & sleep tests) - the only down side, he did not come away with any new treatments - however, this was about 3 yrs ago . There is a LOT of new studies and info . I have been thinking about seeing if he could go back for a follow up. He was happy he went and would go anywhere there is any hope to help him feel better.

The sleep study ruled out sleep apnea - that info helped his Dr in diagnosing CFS, and supported his claim for CFS (he was finally granted by BVA - still waiting for rating)

They are not there to help your claim, but there is a good chance their findings can be used to support your claim. They are definitely not there to do anything that would adversly effect your claim. They stay out of claims - but again, good chance you will find information you can use to support your claim.

I do not think you can get compensation for time off work. But, the vets hospital sets up the dates and pays for the flight there. The WRIISC pays for the flight back. Meals while you are there are included. So there is not cost to you - except time off work.

3 years later, with all the new studies and reports from the IOM , Boston University etc... I would think they are even more educated and helpful than when my husband went. I know it was scary for him (and me) before he went, just not knowing what to expect and how you'll be treated. After going, he was very happy he went. Just to have someone acknowledge what you feel is real - that is huge, even if there aren't treatments yet. Again, they are very nice, respectful and and courteous., and he would go again if given the opportunity.

Hope this helps.