Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Possible New Treatment For Tinnitus

Rate this topic

My link

"Tinnitus, a relentless and often life-changing ringing in the ears known to disable soldiers exposed to blasts, unwary listeners of too-loud music and millions of others, is the result of under-inhibition of key neural pathways in the brain's auditory center, according to scientists at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine in this week's early online edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. The discovery, which used a new technique to image auditory circuits using slices of brain tissue in the lab, points the way to drug development and effective treatment for a condition that currently has no cure."

(snip)

"According to the American Tinnitus Association, tinnitus is the most common service-connected disability among veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts. Of the 50 million who have experienced it, 16 million have symptoms severe enough to seek medical attention and 2 million tinnitus sufferers are unable to carry out day-to-day activities."

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I have tinnitus since 1994, Over the years it has gotten worse. So far it is only in one ear my right one. I almost would be willing to make the ear deaf not to hear it anymore, Its not a ringing it is a buzzing and now I have learned that I have significant loss of hearing in both ears. The VA has issued hearing aids for both ears.

If they have a cure I would volunteer to test it.

• In Memoriam

I have had this since 1969. This attachment is about Air Craft noise levels. It is very odd that these articles, about Tinnitus, never mention Air Craft noise. NAS report is always circumventing Aviation. I think this is because there isn't anything that the DoD can do about. Work with aircraft and you will develop Tinnitus and lose your hearing as an occupational hazard. I have been denied my claim about tinnitus, even though I worked on aircraft while they were turning, many hours a day everyday for 3 1/2 years.

The NAS doesn't even know that the US has a NAVY or AIR FORCE.

I would welcome a cure if it did not mean tampering with the nervous system or brain.

http://www.hadit.com...&attach_id=2889