Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Questions

Rate this question

Cpl. B

Question

I recently was asked by another vet friend from my old highschool what kinds of things would be enough to qualify for PTSD. I thought I would ask for input here before I sent him a reply.

He described several of the symptoms of PTSD to me and I have talked to him several times since I started my learning process in PTSD and he seems to fit the bill (I am no psych doctor, mind you).

He asked if the stress of bootcamp, or your first deployment, or minor things like that would just get you laughed out of the claims process. I am pretty sure it would but wanted more input before I let

him down too much, just in case I am wrong.

I am referring him to this site for more research and I sent him the link to some PTSD research stuff I have.

Any input would help.

Cpl. B

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

It depends on what happens in boot camp or on first deployment. If you get beaten within an inch of your life in boot camp then that would be a stressor. If on your first deployment you see the guy in the truck in front of you on the road in Iraq or Afghanistan hit an IED then that would be a stressor. If it is just the normal stresses and strains of being used and abused by the United States military then probably not. However, if a VA shrink says you have PTSD then you have it, and you can file a claim. Actually, the way I understand it is if you fear coming hostilites just sitting at some rear area and the VA says you have PTSD then that is a valid claim. I could be wrong.

For new PTSD claims the new criteria is in this topic