Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Starting A Nod

Rate this question

emandg

Question

I received my initial disability rating for PTSD related to combat in Vietnam at 30%. I do not agree with the rating and feel it should be 50%. I was informed by the DAV rep that I need to get letters from people who can describe the change in me and how my life is today. Problem is, I burned all my bridges like a lot of us did when we got back and know of no one who can write about how I was before nam. I can get statements from those that know me who knew me before I went to the VA and started therapy. Will that suffice ? My VA Psychiatrist was willing to help me and asked me if there was any documents I needed and of course I told him I don't know. Anyone been through this process before with some advice ?

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"My VA Psychiatrist was willing to help me and asked me if there was any documents I needed and of course I told him I don't know. Anyone been through this process before with some advice ?"

Yes. My husband -at 30% PTSD -died with a claim for higher rating pending and a 1151 claim pending too.

I re opened them both after his death.

SSDI had awarded him solely for PTSD in his lifetime yet VA ignored his SSA findings. At some point I went over to the VAMC after he died and realized the VARO was ignoring my evidence for both of his claims and I spoke to his former shrink. I realized right away something was wrong.

The Shrink ( a psychiatrist) had all of his hypnosis and therapy notes,results of all 6 test they did to separate his PTSD from his major CVA, and considerable other documented info as to his 'catastrophic' as one record stated-PTSD.

In the VA's denial they never mentioned any of this information at all.

His VA doctor said he would write a letter to the VARO and gave me copies of all of these documents to send in to support them claim.

As I prepared a cover letter to send them in ( it took me some time to get to a xerox machine in those days as I live in rural NY)

about three weeks passed since seeing his doctor and I came home from a fire scene call with the local fire department to find an award letter in my mailbox= posthumous PTSD 100% P & T back to the last day he worked ( about a 6 years difference from the award date.)

The VARO had received the VA doctor's letter and immediately awarded the claim.

DO you get SSDI and is it solely for PTSD?

I would ask your doctor for copies of any and all of his treatment records on you.

The VA could easily have misinterpreted something and you might well fit into the higher rating.

If you do feel the evidence VA had or should have had warrants a higher rating it would be good to have a Vet rep who might support a request for reconsideration.

Whether they would reconsider or not, do not forget the time frame for the NOD is only one year after any decision.

If he is willing to write a letter to VA for you, he shold give a full medical rationale as to why you fit into the highr rating (and he should have the regulations for the Rating percentages when he does this.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

I received my initial disability rating for PTSD related to combat in Vietnam at 30%. I do not agree with the rating and feel it should be 50%.

I was informed by the DAV rep that I need to get letters from people who can describe the change in me and how my life is today.

Problem is, I burned all my bridges like a lot of us did when we got back and know of no one who can write about how I was before nam.

I can get statements from those that know me who knew me before I went to the VA and started therapy.

Will that suffice ? My VA Psychiatrist was willing to help me and asked me if there was any documents I needed and of course I told him I don't know.

Anyone been through this process before with some advice ?

emandg,

Your DAV rep is wrong.

You have already been SC'd for your PTSD.

The ONLY thing relevant now, to your percentage evaluation level

is how this disability currently effects your daily life, to include social

and occupational functioning,as supported in the medical evidence by a mental health professional

and sometimes a LCSW can help.

Letters from those that knew you before nam are now irrelevant since SC has been established.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

I think I get it now. I have asked my VA Therapist (Phd) and Psychiatrist for the letters that you and others talked about. I am trying to get letters from people who know me know, but thats not easy becasue I hardly know anybody except fro my wife and 2 stepchildren.

"My VA Psychiatrist was willing to help me and asked me if there was any documents I needed and of course I told him I don't know. Anyone been through this process before with some advice ?"

Yes. My husband -at 30% PTSD -died with a claim for higher rating pending and a 1151 claim pending too.

I re opened them both after his death.

SSDI had awarded him solely for PTSD in his lifetime yet VA ignored his SSA findings. At some point I went over to the VAMC after he died and realized the VARO was ignoring my evidence for both of his claims and I spoke to his former shrink. I realized right away something was wrong.

The Shrink ( a psychiatrist) had all of his hypnosis and therapy notes,results of all 6 test they did to separate his PTSD from his major CVA, and considerable other documented info as to his 'catastrophic' as one record stated-PTSD.

In the VA's denial they never mentioned any of this information at all.

His VA doctor said he would write a letter to the VARO and gave me copies of all of these documents to send in to support them claim.

As I prepared a cover letter to send them in ( it took me some time to get to a xerox machine in those days as I live in rural NY)

about three weeks passed since seeing his doctor and I came home from a fire scene call with the local fire department to find an award letter in my mailbox= posthumous PTSD 100% P & T back to the last day he worked ( about a 6 years difference from the award date.)

The VARO had received the VA doctor's letter and immediately awarded the claim.

DO you get SSDI and is it solely for PTSD?

I would ask your doctor for copies of any and all of his treatment records on you.

The VA could easily have misinterpreted something and you might well fit into the higher rating.

If you do feel the evidence VA had or should have had warrants a higher rating it would be good to have a Vet rep who might support a request for reconsideration.

Whether they would reconsider or not, do not forget the time frame for the NOD is only one year after any decision.

If he is willing to write a letter to VA for you, he shold give a full medical rationale as to why you fit into the highr rating (and he should have the regulations for the Rating percentages when he does this.

• HadIt.com Elder

I received my initial disability rating for PTSD related to combat in Vietnam at 30%. I do not agree with the rating and feel it should be 50%. I was informed by the DAV rep that I need to get letters from people who can describe the change in me and how my life is today. Problem is, I burned all my bridges like a lot of us did when we got back and know of no one who can write about how I was before nam. I can get statements from those that know me who knew me before I went to the VA and started therapy. Will that suffice ? My VA Psychiatrist was willing to help me and asked me if there was any documents I needed and of course I told him I don't know. Anyone been through this process before with some advice ?

Have you filed a "Notice of Disagreement" NOD yet? As you may already know, you have one year to do so...

Good Luck,

Cmdr. Bob

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"

I am waiting for a couple of letters from family and my V,.A. PSychand Therapist before I do. ISn't that better to include supplemental statements ?

Edited by emandg

I received my initial disability rating for PTSD related to combat in Vietnam at 30%. I do not agree with the rating and feel it should be 50%.

I was informed by the DAV rep that I need to get letters from people who can describe the change in me and how my life is today.

emandg,

I'm going to take another shot at this.

1) Specifically by the rating criteria, why do you feel your evaluation for PTSD should be 50 % ?

2) By your DAV rep suggesting you "get letters from people who can describe the change in me

and how my life is today", I would venture to guess that the evidence of record at the time of the

rating decision that evaluated you at 30%, did not support a higher evaluation.

As SC for PTSD has been granted I do not feel you would benefit any from lay evidence statements

in regards to the "change in me". That material issue that there was a change in you, has already

been factored into the adjudication that granted SC.

Only how you are today is relevant.

For an increase you are going to need evidence that addresses social and occupational

limitations - hopefully from a doctor with the right pedigree or something negative from

employment or voc rehab, something like that. If you get SSA benefits due solely to PTSD

that would be some more evidence to submit.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.