Ads Keep HadIt.com Online. Consider Turning Off Ad Blockers to Keep HadIt.com Online! ×

Stolen Va Laptop Recovered

Guest DON20906

Question

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

10 answers to this question

WOW- good news-

I really don't feel this employee should have quit the VA-

I cannot imagine his intention was less than honorable-

He gave up a VA pension and other things- not to mention- where can he get a job now?

It was not his fault that he was burgularized- as bad as VA can be sometimes- I still put trust in them

for my personal data-

I feel that this could happen to any of the many VA employees who are overwhelmed and just want to try and catch up work at their homes.

But the VA is giving them all training to prevent this from happening again.

Geeeez-look at the cost though- that is a shame-

That money could have funded a staff for the Intrepid Rehab center for many years.

Don't you find it just a titch suspicious that he just happened to be burglerized the day he brought the huge data-base home?

I just read an article that stated the VA data analyst received permission on numerous occasions to take the data home to work on. There's evidently documentation to back this up. The article also stated that the employee is fighting his dismissal. My opinion is if he received permission, especially more than once, to take this information home to work on, then he should not be terminated or forced to retire. If I were that person, I would be terribly angry about the misinformation purposely fed to the media about allegedly taking the information home without permission and subsequently being forced out of a position

Also, the article stated that the person who turned the computer in was not prosecuted. There was no information available as to whether this person collected the $50K reward.

The analyst is the "lead programmer within the Policy Analysis Service and as such needs access to real Social Security numbers."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I am unsure exactly what should happen to the analyst who had the laptop at home which was stolen, I do feel that in his position as "lead programmer within the Policy Ananlysis Service" he should have used better protection in ensuring that this information could not be accessed by anyone. Especially knowing that there had already been break-ins in the area he lived.

mssoup1

• HadIt.com Elder

VA is not off the hook as it turns out there are at least 10 more cases of VA losing Veteran Info.

Guest jstacy

Thak heavens they found it. Now we all can turn off our sweat pumps and get back to the real fight. Now for those who had already spent the $1000.00, Its sad. Now the VA is going to become beligerent once again and say no damage was done so no harm no foul.

There still needs to be an investigation and find the root cause for this error. Big buracracy loves to point fingers and find scape goats, Like Data Analysist that had permission to work at home.

I think the ax should fall from the top. I remember when I was handling ammunition at a Depot, Someone stored fuses and powder in the same magazine. They found the door some 10 miles away after it went up and let me tell you. The Army brass came in and started with the highest man to the lowest. No bull there, Just action.

Edited by jstacy

I was wondering how the person that turned in the laptop knew what info was on it if it wasn't accessed. Also is it possible to tell if info has been copied?

I'm still suspicious. WAS the laptop really recovered or did they just want to SAY it was recovered? It just don't get any better than that. The big scandal of it missing, being returned, and amazingly enough no information on the data base was copied. Anything too good to be true normally is.

And yes, information copied from the hard drive or copied from one drive to another can be retrieved from the hard drive, not all the info that was copied but a copy file name.

• HadIt.com Elder

He did not just happen to have that info at home, they sent it home with him in 2002 along with the laptop he was using, he has it in writing that he was authorized to take it to his house and work on it, he is not a level 5 or 6 type clerk, he worked directly for a political appointee, whose expertise is cutting program costs. He was just following his instructions from the Under Secretary that resigned, he told him about the loss of the laptop the next day, the Under Secretary is supposedly the one who failed to notify Nicholson for three weeks, etc. Firing the IT VA employee was wrong, like usual the people that should be going are the ones staying around.

This also gives Buyer the ammunition he needs to put all of the VA IT stuff under one man, the way he wanted to do it last year, but his "friend" quit because the other people at the VA didn't play the way he wanted to. Maybe he can talk him into coming back and giving him the keys to the kingdom. Instead of getting rid of Nicholson and getting a real "manager" in there, we are going to get another layer of political cronyism, and that is never good for the veterans.