VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Stolen Va Laptop Recovered

Rate this question

Guest DON20906

Question

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

WOW- good news-

I really don't feel this employee should have quit the VA-

I cannot imagine his intention was less than honorable-

He gave up a VA pension and other things- not to mention- where can he get a job now?

It was not his fault that he was burgularized- as bad as VA can be sometimes- I still put trust in them

for my personal data-

I feel that this could happen to any of the many VA employees who are overwhelmed and just want to try and catch up work at their homes.

But the VA is giving them all training to prevent this from happening again.

Geeeez-look at the cost though- that is a shame-

That money could have funded a staff for the Intrepid Rehab center for many years.

I just read an article that stated the VA data analyst received permission on numerous occasions to take the data home to work on. There's evidently documentation to back this up. The article also stated that the employee is fighting his dismissal. My opinion is if he received permission, especially more than once, to take this information home to work on, then he should not be terminated or forced to retire. If I were that person, I would be terribly angry about the misinformation purposely fed to the media about allegedly taking the information home without permission and subsequently being forced out of a position

Also, the article stated that the person who turned the computer in was not prosecuted. There was no information available as to whether this person collected the $50K reward.

The analyst is the "lead programmer within the Policy Analysis Service and as such needs access to real Social Security numbers."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I am unsure exactly what should happen to the analyst who had the laptop at home which was stolen, I do feel that in his position as "lead programmer within the Policy Ananlysis Service" he should have used better protection in ensuring that this information could not be accessed by anyone. Especially knowing that there had already been break-ins in the area he lived.

mssoup1

• HadIt.com Elder

VA is not off the hook as it turns out there are at least 10 more cases of VA losing Veteran Info.

Guest jstacy

Thak heavens they found it. Now we all can turn off our sweat pumps and get back to the real fight. Now for those who had already spent the $1000.00, Its sad. Now the VA is going to become beligerent once again and say no damage was done so no harm no foul.

There still needs to be an investigation and find the root cause for this error. Big buracracy loves to point fingers and find scape goats, Like Data Analysist that had permission to work at home.

I think the ax should fall from the top. I remember when I was handling ammunition at a Depot, Someone stored fuses and powder in the same magazine. They found the door some 10 miles away after it went up and let me tell you. The Army brass came in and started with the highest man to the lowest. No bull there, Just action.

Edited by jstacy