Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied Fibro Because Of Joint Pain

Rate this question

Draggin'

Question

I have been denied fibromyalgia by the DRO because:

• "You noted a complaint of pain in various joints, however, you were show to have specific diagnoses related to these complaints to include bilateral ankle sprains, bilateral plantar fascitis, bilateral wrist tendonitis, bilateral shoulder strains, bilateral patellofemoral syndrome of the knees, right foot first metatarsal degenerative joint disease and talonavicular degenerative changes of the left foot."

Not that they found me service connected for all of these little diagnosis...but anyway...

My argument (below) is that fibromyalgia has more symptoms than joint pain. If awarded...What are the odds of them trying to lump in already awarded things that could be associated with fibro For example:

Right ankle sprain 10% (see above considered joint pain)

Left knee patellofemoral syndrome 10% (considered joint pain)

Right Shoulder Strain 10% (considered joint pain)

Lumbosacral Strain 10%

Migraines 0% - I'm willing to throw this one in under fibro

(By the way I am most likely appealing the amounts on all of these as well-separate from fibro.)

Here's my argument:

Although there is an explainable diagnosis for joint pains. There is still a plentiful amount of unexplained widespread pain and other symptoms of fibromyalgia that have existed for six months or more.

The medical documentation will show complaints of fibromyalgia symptoms, including:

Unexplained weight gain or loss

Headaches & migraines

Back pain

Vision changes, including rapidly worsening vision

Morning stiffness

Diffuse swelling

Fatigue

Sleep starts (falling sensations)

Twitchy muscles at night

Restless Leg Syndrome

Teeth grinding (bruxism)

Loss of libido

Chronic neck pain from stiffness & excessively tight neck muscles

Pain in both legs including muscle cramping, aching and stiffness

Bloating & nausea

Abdominal cramps

Irritable bowel syndrome

Poor balance and coordination

Hemorrhoids

Also personal documentation will confirm the following:

Sensitivity to odors

Cravings for carbohydrate and chocolate

Directional disorientation

Thanks Draggin'

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

If I can't get a diagnosis before filing the appeal, should I drop the things that I have no diagnosis for like the fibro?

Draggin'

It sounds like you are at the beginning stage of your appeal. As always it's "Your Call" to decide to continue your appeal on all claim issues or just specific issues but keep in mind that appeals are running four to six years now and who knows when and if that will change.

Edited by pete992

That is a long time! Yes, I am just about to file Form 9. I'll see you when my daughters are graduated VA backpay...LOL

Draggin'

Draggin,

Yes I know this will be a play on words but this is the game veterans have to play with VA. You will need fribromyalgia diagnosed, it could be diagnosed as fibromyalgia or it could be diagnosed as an undiagnosed fibromyalgia or diagnosed as fibromyalgia with no specific etiology. The bottom line is a doctor must say that you have this condition.

In reference to your sleep study, I suggest that you ask the sleep clinic or your (PCP) Primary Care Provider for an in-home sleep study where they will mail you the equipment and it records your sleep for several days and then you mail it back to the sleep clinic.

Hope the best

the sleep study works fine for people that need a C-Pap machine, where their breathing is interuppted..

but if you have problems that are different each night, than the sleep study isn't very useful. I am not saying don't do it, just saying through experience, it is not very inclusive and decisive. It is something that some people need to take advantage of to help them get the help and get problems documented.

Take for instance I lived in a VA hospital bed at the va for 6 months and the nurses noted every thing I did 24/7 for 6 months. I also had nurses come to my house for 6 weeks after one of my discharges, so they could continue care and therapy at my home.

You would think the VA claims people would read the millions of pages of doctors and nurses notes after they actually watched me and kept me alive 24/7 for 6 months. I also wore a monitor when I left my room and went to other rooms and floors. But the damned VA claims people didn't even bother to read my records, that I what I had to tel them in person, among all the the other issues and written proof they refused to consider.

Edited by retiredat44

Not in appeals, since I got 100%, and some of it was winning an 1151 negligence, which the VA turns out does not give ful benefits if you win 1151 negligence they squirm and legal loophhole you and your family out of many benefits, really crapp nasty bunch running the va benefits, they wil backstab and scre wyou even if you win you lose. May 2021.

01-01-11_My_Medical_Records2.jpg

Sounds like I will need to point them to the information and make it "6th grader friendly" as another member put it. Had to do this with my PTSD claim as well, since they couldn't figure out that I was in Iraq...don't even ask me how they didn't?!!

Draggin'