Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Oh Happy Day!

Rate this topic

Armyvet1987

I think today has been one of the best days of my life! I received two letters from the VA today, one was a big white one and the other just a regular one. Of course I went for the big white one and read that I had been awarded 100%! My knees almost buckled, I kept reading the whole thing to make sure everything would match up and it does. It said I would be getting a retro check dated back to October 28th, 2009. This really has come at a great time, I have sold everything to pay bills and my lease ends at the end of the month. It said I was awarded 100% PTSD and TBI because of the overwhelming evidence I had from my deployment and that I was fired do to issues caused my memory. I told the C&P doc that I didn't want to be permanent or unemployable because I wanted to get better, I didn't get ether of those (thank god) I had a GAF score of 45 and since I was awarded the Combat Action Badge I didn't need someone proving I seen combat...even though my MOS is 19D (Cav Scout) so it shouldn't matter.

The second letter said I was awarded 100% and would have a future examination for June of 2016, so does that mean I will be 100% until then? I really can't wait to start having money to go to the treatment and maybe even go to school.

I really want to thank everyone that helped me through this, I would ask question and people would take time out of their day to answer them. My claim went through some crazy stuff, like getting canceled for no reason, the Army "lost" my med records from Iraq, so on. It has been a long hard road and there were times I just wanted to give up but I would always think about the men and women that are risking their lives right now, if they just gave up then what? If anyone has any questions I can help them with I would be glad to help. Thanks again everyone!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations,

P. S.

I think you maybe misunderstanding what P & T really means. P & T (Permanent and Total) disability,basically means that you have a condition or conditions that will most likely last the rest of your life. It does not mean that you do not want to get better. I don't think anyone wants to be sick for the rest of their life. In reality something like PTSD and some type of injury may never go away, the conditions actually get worst. You may have some good days and some very bad days but there is no cure. P & T allows veterans to get extra benefits like; (CHAMPVA) health care for your dependents, DEA (dependent education assistance),Wavier of life insurance, military MWR ID card for commissary and PX privileges, State property exemption tax, and other discounts for having a military ID card.

Congratulations! Yes, you will be awarded 100% until your next exam provided something doesn't happen first.

If you start back to school, that may send up a red flag and they will call you in for another C&P - in their thinking that if someone can go to school, they can get a job, and aren't really 100%. There is a long post about going to school and being 100% I recently read somewhere on HadIt. I think the gist of it was if you try and don't do too well, they can be used to prove your problems. But if you do well and graduate, expect your rating to go down when you get a job.

Get your treatment on track first - or nothing will work out well.

Yea I guess I did, I just didn't want them to use P&T on me because I do think and hope one day all this will get better. I understand the people that will never be cured or lost a limb or something.

Very happy for your success!!! The award did come at a good time. I wish it could be sooner for all.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use