Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Going To The Ro

Rate this question

Susan

Question

I am making my first trip to the RO on Monday morning. I already know to get the date and time stamp on all documents that I hand deliver and get copies. I am hoping to physically look at my deceased husbands C-file. I do not have an appointment. This is Waco RO. Does anyone think that might happen? Any tips on how to handle the situation if they automatically try to discourage me from seeing the C-file. It is a three hour drive to the RO. I want to be prepared for what might ruin my chances and what might help. One post had mentioned OIG if all else fails. Do I ask for the phone number of OIG or do I need that before I go?

Should be an A/O Nehmer widow (but not recognized yet). Will be soon. Will be grateful for any help. Thanks!!

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Susan -=are you the widow who is mentioned in this thread?

Did you answer my questions elsewhere here?

I am trying to determine if you fall under Nehmer guidelines.

As a widow who fought VA for many years- the copy of my husband's C file (and then what became my C file) was important to me but nothing was as important as the complete copy of his VA medical records i8n proving his 1151/FTCA and then his direct SC death.

Is this claim involving a problem regarding your legal standing as his spouse?

Or a DIC benefit that was denied yet should now come under the Nehmer COurt Order?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

PR

Waco is pretty bad but their customer service is good. Go figure. The adds were taken out by a Veteran in El Paso but if I remember correctly it was in Albuquerque or perhaps it was Phoenix. By the way the billboards worked and the Veteran set up his own Veterans Organization or pseudo Service Organization based in El Paso.

All of this happened in the 90's so my memory is fuzzy.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Berta, yes I am the one and I did answer the questions. The Nehmer Training guidelines state that the surviving spouse is who is married to the veteran when they pass away. So, there should be no problem. VA just does not want to recognize that fact yet. I am mentioned throughout his medical records and claims as his spouse during the years that we lived together. I made mention yesterday that VA does not recognize common law and the couselor said that depended. They told me that if we had filed a common law document(since it is Texas)prior to our marriage then VA would have recognized the marriage sooner. NVLSP has been in contact with me for several months. I just wanted to see if I could get the C-file,,,,the entire C-file or even just see what they had. The RO sent only one of the two volumes after Don passed away. I do have a box full of his medical records. Don was part of the research studies at the VA for high cholesterol. He spent a week at a time going through the research programs. Then I have all his other medical records, both inpatient and outpatient. I expect it will still take time before a success, but I am very hopeful. And will not give up. That first denial that I got was what made me certain to never give up. I know someone who has been waiting for six months since her claim went to the Decision phase.

• HadIt.com Elder

Don will be happy when you get the benefits that he earned. I will be happy cause I still get miffed when I think of how Don was treated by VA.

Never give up

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.