Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bad News, Good News.

Rate this topic

hedgey

The bad news: My DH's father was moved from his home to a VA nursing home at the end of last month. We went down to see him, and it was very, very hard for my husband. He hasn't been close to his parents for years, and it was tough to see his dad so ill. They're starting Hospice care for him, so it's just a matter of time.

Now here's quasi- bad news. Dad is a WWII vet, and was a POW for eight months in Germany. He's been in poor health ever since I've known my husband, and we always thought he was 100%.. Come to find out, he's only 70%.

So when we heard that, we made a bee-line for the VARO which is minutes away from his nursing home. Filed for TDIU and A&A for both him and his wife (how he would qualify for A&A when he's in a VA paid nursing facility I don't know, but the rep insisted). They're both in their 80's.

Anyway, this was the last week of June.

Good news: The VA rep we talked to called me (Dad did the form to have the VA talk to us) and told me that his TDIU was approved. They had flagged his file FLASH (??) because of his age and POW status. She said that a letter should arrive within a week.

So while it's heartbreaking to know that Dad probably should have been 100% (at least TDIU) years ago, it's great that he's getting it now - it will really help Mom. It will also really help him to know that Mom will have DIC, etc...

I had no idea that the VA could move so fast. We were hugely impressed by the VARO, anyway. Everyone was exceedingly helpful to us, and phone calls were returned every time. Astonishing. So different than our experiences with our own VARO.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

That's great news!!! Now, I personally feel, you should request a complete copy of his c-file and see if there were any CUE's made back when he was awarded 70% and if he should have been considered for SMC, then, also. It could be a considerable amount and could help your Mom. jmo

pr

The bad news: My DH's father was moved from his home to a VA nursing home at the end of last month. We went down to see him, and it was very, very hard for my husband. He hasn't been close to his parents for years, and it was tough to see his dad so ill. They're starting Hospice care for him, so it's just a matter of time.

Now here's quasi- bad news. Dad is a WWII vet, and was a POW for eight months in Germany. He's been in poor health ever since I've known my husband, and we always thought he was 100%.. Come to find out, he's only 70%.

So when we heard that, we made a bee-line for the VARO which is minutes away from his nursing home. Filed for TDIU and A&A for both him and his wife (how he would qualify for A&A when he's in a VA paid nursing facility I don't know, but the rep insisted). They're both in their 80's.

Anyway, this was the last week of June.

Good news: The VA rep we talked to called me (Dad did the form to have the VA talk to us) and told me that his TDIU was approved. They had flagged his file FLASH (??) because of his age and POW status. She said that a letter should arrive within a week.

So while it's heartbreaking to know that Dad probably should have been 100% (at least TDIU) years ago, it's great that he's getting it now - it will really help Mom. It will also really help him to know that Mom will have DIC, etc...

I had no idea that the VA could move so fast. We were hugely impressed by the VARO, anyway. Everyone was exceedingly helpful to us, and phone calls were returned every time. Astonishing. So different than our experiences with our own VARO.

Thanks, NK, and PR, that's a brilliant idea! Will do so on Monday when we go back down.

Thanks!!

Oh Hedgy--This is such good news. Your husband's dad is very fortunate to have the two of you in his life!

As late as the award is, it will hopefully make a difference in your dad's final days and hopeful help his wife in the future.

God Bless you and your family.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am sorry your father in law is in such bad shape but he has you and your husband helping to ensure that he and his wife get all the benefits they are entitled to, if he does pass from a SC issue then she will get the DIC benefits, they will also pay at least 2,000 towards his funeral if you bury his in a private cemetary they will also pay another 300 towards the plot, if he goes into a National Cemetary they won't charge anything to bury him or his wife together, when she also passes, my mom died in Mar 1996 and was buried in Riverside National and my step father was buried on top of her when he passed in Sep 2000 if they do raise him to 100% don't forget to request the free 10,000 life insurance

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use