Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mh C&p In, Some Questions About Symptoms Noted Vs. Progress Notes

Rate this question

brokensoldier244th

Question

I got my MH C&P notes back today, and as I peruse them I don't see too much that is glaringly off until I get to the "Symptoms" section in Section II, Clinical notes. Under the list of symptoms, only Depressed Mood is marked [X]. Nothing about disturbances of motivation or mood, disturbances of sleep, mild memory loss-things that are in my treatment notes with my Psychologist. Under the "Occupational Social Impairment" section he checked: "Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks, although generally functioning satisfactorily, with normal routine behavior, self care and conversation".

Tossing and turning, mind-mapping to keep thing straight, and my lack of motivation for social settings is noted in the write up under "current mental health", though. I just hope that stuff typed out in block gets read, too, and not just the things that are 'X'd off.

It also bothers me a bit that the diagnosis code is "MDD, Severe, Single Episode" (296.23) when my normal treatment notes from early April to present designate it as recurrent. How does a rater take that and run with it?

Is it normal for there to only have 1 thing marked in that entire symptoms section, even though the instructions state to check any and all symptoms related to the diagnosis? The rating isn't just based off of the checklist, is it? They will look at my psych notes,etc as well, where these things are noted? I thought the C&P was to take that into account in their overall write up, summarizing it, if you will, but maybe not. Is there going to be any weirdness with having only a single GAF when my clinician uses SOAP style notes with no GAF scores? (thus, no pattern)

My Axis(s) were listed as:

Axis IDiagnosis-Major Depresive Disorder, Moderate, with Obsessive Compulsive tendencies (not full blown disorder)ICD Code 296.23 (Major Depressive Disorder, Severe, single episode)

Diagnosis 2 (none)

Axis II Nothing listed

Axis III Medical diagnois-C&P records

Axis IV

Service related lumbar spine and sciatic nerve

GAF score 58

"There is no history of mental health hospitalization. The veteran was started on Sertraline by the physician initially for PME and then over time he started taking that daily for his mood, 1/2 tab daily"

"The veteran is married, 4 children. The veterans wife is employed as asst. manager of a movie theater. The veteran noted that often times they watch DVR or rental movies for family activity. The veteran noted that usually after the new movies have been out a few weeks they are more likely to do to movies when there will be less of a crowd."The veteran noted that his children are involved in [activities] and that he is involved, his wife does the majority of those activities."

"The veteran noted that Sertraline has calming effect upon his emotions and thought process. The veteran noted that he has been trying to work on physical prowess by exercising but that Physical Therapy said he was working too hard and in a manner that would not be conducive to reduction in pain. The veteran has avoided narcotic pain medication as he does not want to further dull his faculties. the veteran does not that there are times where he does not have an appetite and forgets to eat. The veterans energy level has been low to poor. The veteran noted that he will "mind map" to keep his clientele straight. The veteran has difficulty getting comfortable at night. The veteran tosses and turns repeatedly during the night. The veteran noted that he tends to be regimented and structured so as to try to contain the depressive symptomology.

The veteran noted that hsi sex drive is "not really...we cuddle, we dont' have sex......I take drugs for it, but then I don't 'want to'....". The veteran does not feel hopeless-he says that is why he sees his psychologist. the veteran does have some time he feels helpless. The veteran knows that his back pain "is going to be a lifetime thing. I get sick of it...i get tired of it hurting...i get tired of people asking why I don't spend time with them or do things with them... because there are days i can't get off the couch."

The veteran has friends "and we do things sometimes, my close friends understand most of the time. Acquaintances feel like I am a buzz kill". The veteran is not suicidal nor homicidal. Th vetera's mood is depressed daily nearly every day or all day, he describes difficult concentrating at home and at work."

Edited by brokensoldier244th

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

continued from my previous post

Buy the way the letter you wrote to the C&P examiner was very civil and explained the problem in a manner that deseved a better answer than he gave you.

Edited by Hoppy

Hoppy

100% for Angioedema with secondary conditions.

thanks, Hoppy. He kind of made me feel like a freak. I have the emails, though, so it's all ammunition for the future, I guess.

CAS

continued from my previous post

Buy the way the letter you wrote to the C&P examiner was very civil and explained the problem in a manner that deseved a better answer than he gave you.

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)