Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fiduciary

Rate this question

Gmaan23

Question

I have been waiting on my claim for VA now since the 28th of October of last year (2010) my claim has moved in a direction I was not expecting. The other day I called the VA and one of the representatives told me that I need to sign a paper giving them the right to appoint me a fiduciary. I don't know much about that program other than it is a VA appointed payee on my behalf. Does this mean that my claim is being processed by the Oakland RO? And does it mean that my claim is closer to being finalized? Any feedback will help.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Fidicuiary means more than one thing but I suspect that they need you to appoint them to be your VSO so that they can review and discuss your claim with the VA.

It can also mean that you won and were declared incomptent and need someone to manage your money.

I think it is the first answer but I wuld call and ask exactly what he meant.

Guessing is not always a good thing when you guess wrong with the VA

Please search read the info on Fiduciary or Incompetency Proposals here and at the VAWatchdog links I have posted.

If you have a spouse the VA would most likely appoint the spouse as fiduciary but by all means watch out for any fiduciary that VA attempts to appoint.

You should get a vet rep and fight this. Ask for a hearing and collect evidence to show them you are competent enough to handle your own funds.

Jim Strickland has found from reading many C & P exams that when a retro of 20,000 or more for any MH issue triggers a proposed fiduciary -and if the C & P doc asks if you if the spouse handles the money and if you say the spouse does (most common in American families anyhow ) they will use this to propose incompetence.

It appears they have made an award per what the 800# rep said- but you might want to wait to get a letter because those reps often make mistakes.

There are some VA appointed fiduciaries presently doing time for stealing comp from vets.

Jim Strickland (VAWatchdog) has plenty of step by step info on what to do if the VA proposes incompetence.

Edited by Berta