VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ibs Rating Amounts?

Rate this question

usmcman001

Question

I am going to put in a claim for IBS. Was wondering if there is a format for what is rated on the severity of the problem. Also idf any of you have been SC for IBS what kind of treatments have you recieved from VA? I was told by DAV rep that IBS falls under gulf war syndrome. Any truth to this at all? Thanks

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

"I was told by DAV rep that IBS falls under gulf war syndrome. Any truth to this at all? Thanks "

Technically that is correct- however the VA does not compensate Gulf War Syndrome- they compensate chronic unexplained qualifying illness.(IBS is one of those illnesses)

This VA link explains this better and there is a wealth of info under Qualifying Chronic disability in our GW forum.

I have seen claims at the BVA for "Gulf War Syndrome" that were denied because the veteran did not explain the cluster of

symptoms well enough to fall into the VA's definition of a qualifying chronic unexplained illness.

Also there should be a Gulf War radio show I did at SVR some time on Gulf War syndrome in the SVR archives here as to how the VA defines these illnesses and also info about the nine new presumptives that are predominently residuals from infectious bacterial disease that was most likely incurred in Southwest East theatre.

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/

Thanks alot. This is some great info. Very interesting information. So if the dav is helping with claim I need to put in for chromic unexplained illness and not gulf war syndrome correct? Thanks again

I think either way to state it is OK if you add to the sentence I claim GWS or chronic unexplained illness due to my service in South West Asia as I have these chronic conditions

with no known etiology but for my service during the Gulf War.

It pays to go over the qualifying chronic disabilities that VA will SC so tat nothing is left out.

It would help as well to check out the BVA web site and search for Gulf War Syndrome or Gulf War illnesses and see how vets shaped their claims.

Edited by Berta

Here are 2 BVA awards to GW vets:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp11/Files2/1113856.txt

http://www.va.gov/vetapp11/Files1/1104151.txt

The full legal and medical criteria for these awards is found in the decisions.

7319 ​Irritable colon syndrome (spastic colitis, mucous colitis, etc.):

​Severe; diarrhea, or alternating diarrhea and constipation, with more

​or less constant abdominal distress​30

​Moderate; frequent episodes of bowel disturbance with abdominal

​distress​10

​Mild, disturbances of bowel function with occasional episodes of

​abdominal distress​0

You can be comped for IBS even if you are not a gulf war vet. It is a presumptive illness for anyone that was in Iraq from 2 Aug. 1990 until today.

To file for it (even under section 3.317) you will need a Dx of IBS. Then you will word your claim " I am filing a claim for IBS as a presumptive illness due to my service in the gulf war as per section 3.317 of title 38 of the CFR. I was given a Dx of IBS at XXX." next have a statement on just how bad it is and all of your symptoms.

I am going to put in a claim for IBS. Was wondering if there is a format for what is rated on the severity of the problem. Also idf any of you have been SC for IBS what kind of treatments have you recieved from VA? I was told by DAV rep that IBS falls under gulf war syndrome. Any truth to this at all? Thanks

You can be comped for IBS even if you are not a gulf war vet. It is a presumptive illness for anyone that was in Iraq from 2 Aug. 1990 until today.

To file for it (even under section 3.317) you will need a Dx of IBS. Then you will word your claim " I am filing a claim for IBS as a presumptive illness due to my service in the gulf war as per section 3.317 of title 38 of the CFR. I was given a Dx of IBS at XXX." next have a statement on just how bad it is and all of your symptoms.

Edited by Gulfvet45