Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

"chronic" Congestive Heart Failure

Rate this question

sgtmaj

Question

I hope you someone out there can help me. I am looking for a firm definition of "Chronic" Congestive Heart Failure as used by VA. I can find no where how VA defines Congestive Heart Failure as being "Chronic". I've been rated 60% for CAD/IHD A.O. but my cardiologist has said I have "Chronic" CHF which would warrant a 100% rating. Can you tell where I can find the answer. I have asked VA several times but always get the run-around. They state in their rating schedule that Chronic CHF would warrant 100% but do not state what they define as being "Chronic". Tks.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Tks again. Appreciate all the help. I most likely will file a NOD as there does not seem to be a "definition" by VA of what exactly constitutes "Chronic" CHF. They could make it so much easier on themselves and vets if they put it out there. They have the METS and EF etc. numbers out there but on the word "Chronic" under CHF. I don't think they know what they mean by it. My EF was 41% that's black and white under their schedule 60%. I am retired military and received my CRDP retro from DFAS in mid July and the audit worksheet was sent to VA then indicating they owe me some funds. Haven't heard a thing from VA on their retro other than to say it is being processed. Almost 90 days now. Don't want to do a NOD until I recieve their retro otherwise who knows if that would hold up payment. One would think it shouldn't but then again it's VA. Tks again.

This link might help you:

In part:

"Symptoms

By Mayo Clinic staff

Heart failure can be chronic — meaning your condition is ongoing — or acute, meaning your condition has started suddenly.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-failure/DS00061/DSECTION=symptoms"

Most heart disease is acute when presented as an initial heart attack or other indications, but can become chronic in time.