Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

"chronic" Congestive Heart Failure

Rate this question

sgtmaj

Question

I hope you someone out there can help me. I am looking for a firm definition of "Chronic" Congestive Heart Failure as used by VA. I can find no where how VA defines Congestive Heart Failure as being "Chronic". I've been rated 60% for CAD/IHD A.O. but my cardiologist has said I have "Chronic" CHF which would warrant a 100% rating. Can you tell where I can find the answer. I have asked VA several times but always get the run-around. They state in their rating schedule that Chronic CHF would warrant 100% but do not state what they define as being "Chronic". Tks.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

I don't remember the VA ever addressing the meaning of chronic CHF but my husband's private cardiologist defined it as being chronic if you are treated for it daily with medication. He does have chronic CHF and received 100% rating.

Hope this helps you....good luck.

I hope you someone out there can help me. I am looking for a firm definition of "Chronic" Congestive Heart Failure as used by VA. I can find no where how VA defines Congestive Heart Failure as being "Chronic". I've been rated 60% for CAD/IHD A.O. but my cardiologist has said I have "Chronic" CHF which would warrant a 100% rating. Can you tell where I can find the answer. I have asked VA several times but always get the run-around. They state in their rating schedule that Chronic CHF would warrant 100% but do not state what they define as being "Chronic". Tks.

I don't see the word chronic as warranting 100% in the CAD/IHD regulations.

Maybe I missed it.

I suggest you read over the way VA rates heart disease in the Schedule of Ratings under Cardiovascular disease here:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=c130ec487ea61b8a40ad0836188b94bc&rgn=div5&view=text&node=38:1.0.1.1.5&idno=38

"They state in their rating schedule that Chronic CHF would warrant 100% but do not state what they define as being "Chronic". Tks."

CHF is chronic heart failure and that is different in some respects from CAD Coronary heart disease.

"but my cardiologist has said I have "Chronic" CHF"

Did the cardiologist document that statement in your med recs?

Did the VA consider that documentation when they made the rating decision?

Does this CAD prevent you from employment?

Do you receive SSDI solely for the CAD? (or CHF)

Have you applied for TDIU?

Is your cardio doc a private doctor?

If so he /she might be willing to prepare an IMO per the IMO criteria we have here.

Since CHF and CAD are 2 different medical diagnosis-similiar but definitely different, I suggest that the cardio doctor reference 'Braunwald's Heart Disease" on page 1353 (latest edition) and then refer to Chap 38 as well.In the IMO.

Braunwald is what Harrison's Principles used as citations and supporting text for the IHD regs by VA . my daughter gave me this text for Christmas as I have studied cardiology for years.

It is the TOP cardio text in the world. Your doc will have it.

I cannot scan the page because it is so big and heavy I would need someone else to hold it on the scanner to help me and it still might nopt print well due to it's size.

Page 1353 states that "Chronic" CAD is usually manifested by the "pathogenesis of atherosclerosis." If that is your case (IHD Ischemia is atherosclerotic involvement), then

Perhaps the doc would state that you have chronic CAD and or chronic CHF and then cite Braunwald as a reference with the applicable page number and Publishing date.

If you have plenty of NOD time left you could ask them to reconsider based on their erroneous interpretation of your heart disease that led to a improper rating.

• HadIt.com Elder

Have your Doc write a note that your CHF is Chronic and ask for an increase.

What is your last Ejection Fraction from a heart cath or Echocardiogram?

J

I don't see the word chronic as warranting 100% in the CAD/IHD regulations.

Maybe I missed it.

I suggest you read over the way VA rates heart disease in the Schedule of Ratings under Cardiovascular disease here:

http://ecfr.gpoacces...0.1.1.5&idno=38

"They state in their rating schedule that Chronic CHF would warrant 100% but do not state what they define as being "Chronic". Tks."

CHF is chronic heart failure and that is different in some respects from CAD Coronary heart disease.

"but my cardiologist has said I have "Chronic" CHF"

Did the cardiologist document that statement in your med recs?

Did the VA consider that documentation when they made the rating decision?

Does this CAD prevent you from employment?

Do you receive SSDI solely for the CAD? (or CHF)

Have you applied for TDIU?

Tks Berta and to the other fine folks trying to help me out. The rating schedule for CAD (7005) states: "Chronic congestive heart failure, or, workload of 3 METs or less" etc. is warranted a 100% rating. The IHD Questionnaire VA put out (VA Form 21-0960A-1) In section III (CHF) asks :"Does the Veteran Have CHF?" in one block and in the next block "Is The Veterans CHF Chronic?" I did not have that Questionnaire filled out with my claim but I have since gotten one from my private Cardiologist. I also have a simple statement from him stating my CHF is Chronic (Stage B Class I). Neither of those documents went with my original claim because I thought the documents VA had they could read into them that I have Chronic CHF and am taking medication daily. I realize the CAD and CHF can be different but I believe they both fall under Ischemic Heart Disease and both should be considered with a rating. VA rated me 60% solely on CAD and did not address CHF. Now I am thinking about doing a NOD citing "Chronic" CHF but don't want to waste my time or VAs if I don't meet their definition of it. Social Security has a firm black and white definition stating that to be Chronic CHF one must have a certain amount of acute episodes a year. Can't find any such definition from VA. I have been told by some folks not to request a reconsideation but to go with the NOD because it will get a fresh set of eyes etc. I have until June to file a NOD. If I had a defintiion it would be so much easier. Tks again.

"Neither of those documents went with my original claim because I thought the documents VA had they could read into them that I have Chronic CHF and am ta..."

Nothing can be left up to VA to do, even if it involves common sense or an obvious condition.They need to be informed of all evidence like they are ten years old.

Since VA didn't have the VA Form 21-0960A-1 then they cannot reconsider what they didn't have so these others are correct, file the NOD.

Attach the form to it and in my opinion you should apply for TDIU too as I assume you are not working.