VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is This A Nexus?

Rate this question

john6012

Question

In 1985 I left the military and in 1984 I underwent a Bruce Stress test due to chest pain and hypertension that was borderline in that it was suggestive of CAD although not diagnostic. Now, I still have chest pain, on Nitrostate and have been diagnosed as having IHD, cardiomyopathy and a blockage supposedly due to hypertension. I am due to undergo an echocardiogram and angiogram and if the results are what the MD thinks they'll be, I'll be in a cardiac mess. Would there be a nexus or link to the 1984 testing and treatment?

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

In addition to what I posted-NSA Saigon makes a very important point.

In my opinion you presented here in past rating decisions -what is very possibly IHD.

I dont know what else it could represent.

I also don't know when your IHD raised to a ratable level (10% or more)

Or if it caused your HBP and renal insufficiency (were these claimed as secondarys?)

NSA Saigon is correct that you need a solid confirmed diagnosis of IHD.

Please get a copy of the C & P results and let us know what the VA doc stated.

Well, I believe Berta is wrong on your issue. Foot note 1 is for those vietnam vets who filed previous for AO/IHD andhad a diagnosis of IHD, but were denied SC. You did not have a clear diagnosis of IHD accoeding tot he info you posted until maybe now.

You can still file for AO/IHD if you get the correct diagnosis this time around.

NSA-Saigon-ET

I received a copy of the Angiogram and the diagnosis is: Mild to moderate nonfocally stenosing epicardial coronary disease. And in researching on the internet, this is related to CAD which means????

I received a copy of the Angiogram and the diagnosis is: Mild to moderate nonfocally stenosing epicardial coronary disease. And in researching on the internet, this is related to CAD which means????

Here is what I found for IHD. I am not a doctor so cannot comment but if it fits in here then you may have something to claim.

"According to Harrison's Principles of InternalMedicine (Harrison's

Online, Chapter 237, Ischemic Heart Disease, 2008), IHD is acondition

in which there is an inadequate supply of blood and oxygento a portion

of the myocardium; it typically occurs when there is animbalance

between myocardial oxygen supply and demand. Therefore, forpurposes of

this regulation, the term ``IHD'' includes, but is notlimited to,

acute, subacute, and old myocardial infarction;atherosclerotic

cardiovascular disease including coronary artery disease(including

coronary spasm) and coronary bypass surgery; and stable,unstable and

Prinzmetal's angina. Since the term refers only to heartdisease, it

does not include hypertension or peripheral manifestationsof

arteriosclerosis such as peripheral vascular disease orstroke.

NSA-Saigon-ET

As I mentioned in a prior post I made here:

"referred me to a cardiologist where the determined I have ischemia, blockage and have an Angiogram tomorrow. It is after the Angio tht the cardiologist will advise me of my situation."

If it is ischemia and rated as NSC in prior denials , please email NVLSP at their AO email addy.

I suggest using the link to their site before you email them- as they ask questions in the link and can determine if you are a potential Nehmer claimant with those answers as well as whatever past rating decisions have stated.

That would be (per the AO Training Guide) anything Either rated as CAD or IHD and denied

or a condition is rated that could be construed to mean IHD or CAD.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NSA Saigon -You have stated you feel I am wrong here two or three times regarding Footnote One and I based this on the email I have from a NVLSP lawyer who I have known for years.

but I don't come to hadit to be "right" - I come here with the best advise I can give based on my knowledge of Nehmer, the regs themselves, and from what is posted here.

I interpreted the above statement as "they" determined or maybe will be determined where it says where 'the' determined .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John 6012-Did you ask them when they did the recent angiogram, if you do have IHD?

If not- have you called the doctor since to find out?

Have you dug out any old denial letters to see if in fact they denied something as NSC in the past (even if it had a "0" rating)- that can be reasonably construed to be what is now IHD?

Rather then spending my time posting in this thread anymore- I suggest you both can call NVLSP at 1-202-265-8305 for further questions on the Nehmer Court Order and the new AO regs.

They will refer you to a Nehmer lawyer.

I'm going to let the Va work it all out and see if they come up with anything, after all it is their job and who knows? No sense starting afight before it is necessary. But I failed to mention that the angiogram revealed a 50% block on one artery so if all else fails, I can personall address the 50% by diet, exercise and weight loss. That alone is sufficient news to me. I have a follwoup app't with the cardiologist later this month and I'll post what he says during the meeting.

Sorry to be so late in replying but the end diagnosis is: (1) Mild to moderate nonfocally stenosing epicardial coronary disease (2) Normal left heart pressures and (3) Normal left ventrical function. He prescribed Lipitor and would refill Nitrostat as needed with annual followups. The MD did say that I have hypertensive changes within the heart, no ISHD, no CAD but epicardial coronary disease??

I sent all the information given to me by the doctor to the RO and am awaiting their response but do not look for anything to be awarded. Although I have s/c hypertension and there are hypertensive changes in the heart so..... But I think the VA is interested in only one thing-ISHD and if anything else crops up that might be s/c it is not an issue with them unless I specifically file for that particular ailment... Is this accurate?