Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Says I Owe $8,000.00 And Change

Rate this question

Guest HolliGreen

Question

Guest HolliGreen

Hi to all the great folks at hadit and mucho thanks to T-bird. If anyone has information to share, it is most appreciated. Here is the story: I am rated 100% IU SC multiple sclerosis. As is the case with MS, it has gotten worse, not better. I disability-retired from my federal job about four years ago due to the MS. I served in the Army from Sept. '80 -'87 and was honorably medically discharged due to asthma, 10% lump sum payment. During the later part of my service I developed symptoms consistent with MS although MS was not thought of at the time. In due course I was definitly diagnosed with MS and monthly payments began. The VSO explained the severance pay for the asthma had to be paid back so $100.00 per month was deducted. No biggie. As the years passed, my MS became worse, the VA increased the monthly along with the percentage. I eventually was forced by the MS to retire. All the while, $100.00 was being deducted and last month I received a letter increasing my benefit but with a statement saying I may owe the VA. I called my VSO and he is asking for an audit. With the back pay checks sent (before EFT) and a rather large EFT from VA one would think any $$ owed (if any money was indeed owed) would be deducted then. This whole thing is a stressful mess. I also opened another claim because the prednisone steroids I have taken from the VA neurologist to help with the MS caused cataracts behind both eyes. If anyone has any advice or comments, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you so much. H. G.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

"I also opened another claim because the prednisone steroids I have taken from the VA neurologist to help with the MS caused cataracts behind both eyes. " By all means pursue THAT!

If I were you I would double check on the audit that your VSO requested.

Audits usually do not take too long-

They said you "may" owe them money?

I would not worry too much about that statement unless they say that you DO owe them money.

When you get the audit check that info out carefully with a calculator.

I got an audit and thought it 'looked' right but then like a year later I questioned it- they owed me about 12,000 forget how much and they promptly sent it.

Finance problems as different from claims so they seem to take much less time for resolve.

I never would allow a VSO to request an audit in my behalf unless I could double check they actually did that.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

If all of the facts and figures prove to be genuine and of any substantial amount, I would get on the horn with your local veteranservice officer to request they generate the piece of paper telling the VA that due to your current situation that it would indeed create a financial hardship. This would alleviate you from any additional payment in your current state.

However, like BERTA commented, I wouldn't worry about it unless they state that you actually do owe them. By all means pursue everything affecting you. Had you put in for any independant living expense items via voc rehab yet?

Guest HolliGreen

Berta, thank you for the information. You bet I will be pursueing these cataracts; they are a direct result from those steroids both in pill form and in I.V. infusion form at the local hospital (not a VA facility). You know, I ran some figures and it appears the VA owes me. The VSO admits my case it complicated...says I have a thick file, he asked me to contact him this Thursday as all this has recently come to light. Thank you again. :(

Guest HolliGreen
If all of the facts and figures prove to be genuine and of any substantial amount, I would get on the horn with your local veteranservice officer to request they generate the piece of paper telling the VA that due to your current situation that it would indeed create a financial hardship. This would alleviate you from any additional payment in your current state.

However, like BERTA commented, I wouldn't worry about it unless they state that you actually do owe them. By all means pursue everything affecting you. Had you put in for any independant living expense items via voc rehab yet?

Guest HolliGreen

Hi olenavygoat, that's just the thing, this amount or any other amount does not appear to be legit as I have been paying back that lump sum ($100.00 per month since 1996). I have not put in for voc rehab, I do not work anymore due to the MS. Thank you for the information. H.G.

• HadIt.com Elder

You need to get an accounting of how much they paid and if they were taking it out of your check they should be able to fix that pretty quick. Well pretty quick for VA that is.

Good Luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.