Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Usaf Jet Mech With Bad Knees

Rate this question

Budkyle

Question

Hi All, I was a Jet Mech in USAF from 1970 thru 1978. Worked flightline and trim pad on F4s for four years and have pain(7-8) in both knees all the time. I believe this pain was caused by working under F4's on my knees as there was no such thing as PPE back then. I have reported this pain for nearly 10 years whenever I am at the VA Hospital. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and submitted a claim. Any help is appreciated...

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

If your knee condition was not diagnosed in the military you will need to get a nexus statement from a doctor connection your current condition to your working conditions in the military. If you don't have treatment records until 10 years ago it will be a uphill battle.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi All, I was a Jet Mech in USAF from 1970 thru 1978. Worked flightline and trim pad on F4s for four years and have pain(7-8) in both knees all the time. I believe this pain was caused by working under F4's on my knees as there was no such thing as PPE back then. I have reported this pain for nearly 10 years whenever I am at the VA Hospital. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and submitted a claim. Any help is appreciated...

x

x

x

Get a copy of your service records (medical and personnel). Get a copy of civilian medical records. Examine them closely for evidence: complaints of knee pain, discharge physical, notes, etc., Also look to your OJT training and/or performace reports, see if they show how much time you spent on the ground. 8 years 8 hours a day could explain current knee problems. You may also use "lay evidence", letters you wrote to parents, friends, etc. Also written statements (current) from family or friends that they were aware of your MOS, heard you complain of pain, difficulty walking, etc, observations they might have had back then and currently (compare and contrast). But you will also need a vet-friendly doctor to also examine you and your medical records (and history) and give an opinion that it is "as likely as not" your current knee disability is related to your military service. Read the SAVAGE CASE http://www.tpromo2.com/usvi/claims/three.htm

See also:

Service connection may be granted for a disease first

diagnosed after discharge from service, when all the

evidence, including that pertinent to service, establishes

that the disease was incurred in service. 38 C.F.R. 3.303(d).