Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Maze Is Killing Me Slowly, Varo Up To Tricks Again.

Rate this question

10thFO

Question

Well, I haven't been on lately due to being out of town for death in family with no internet access. I've been checking my bank account every couple days to see if any money had fallen into it from heaven. NO. Here's the current status. I filed an appeal and DeNovoReview back on May 15th to save my 1 year time table, two weeks later, I got a letter from my primary care doc stating "not feasible employment" or something to that effect. Ver batim what the Team should be looking for.

This was in a report to the Voc Rehab counselor. She subsequently called up the contractor that was trying to get me a job, and told him it was no longer necessary. This happened on June 1st. Drove straight from the VA to the VARO, Roanoke Virginia, and gave said paperwork to counselor, she made a few copies for me, I then walked 70 feet down the hall and handed it to one of the reps at the VARO to add to my file, time and date stamped.

I call the VARO this afternoon, to find out the status of my claim.... "well three days ago, we sent a request for a C&P to the VA". He didn't know or wouldn't say what it was for, and when I asked him about the letter I already had from 2 VA Docs and 1 MSW at the Vet Center, saying I was unemployable, permanently, he stated I don't know anything about that, just that you should get a letter this week scheduling your appointment.

I suppose when I get back on Monday I'm going to have to make some more manuevers. I'm going to see the Voc Rehab lady, and get a copy of the letter she wrote. She told me that once it was in their hands, it should be pretty quick. I know she wrote it, because it closes up another case for her. Then I will hand deliver that letter to the office down the hall, then contact my Senators office with a copy of the letter and ask what the hold up and another exam is for.

I've gone throught the Voc Rehab process and been deemed unemployable. Acoording to 38 CFR, once that is done, it should be permanent and total, TDIU. I'm at 70% now, and this crap is really steaming me up.

I realize this is a rant, but I'll never understand how or why the VA can take a situation that is in black and white and easy for them to make and find a way to drag it out. I suppose they want to wait til October so they don't take the hit on this fiscal year for all the back pay.

80% SC/100% TDIU

70%PTSD All the rest is Back problems.

10th Mountain.

God Bless the Troops.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

It does sound like things are finally moving for you-

sometimes it takes really dropping a dime on them-

"I suppose that's what baffles me the most. That's supposed to be the last straw, but they are going to end up reviewing my conditions (which I'm not worried about, because they are much worse) when they could be doing a C&P for someone else"

You have an excellent point!

I just got email from one of my local vets- he is very upset-

Has been 100% P & T for over 10 years-AO cancer/Sec 1151 but then received additional SMC and PTSD award of 50%.He presents a severe disability picture.

He got a letter yesterday setting him up for a C & P re-evaluation.

My first thought was exactly what you said-

then again his PTSD award is fairly recent- maybe 2 years?

and he had an aversion to seeing their shrink when he got the award-perhaps he did not establish a PTSD paper trail- dont know why they would re-evaluate though-I think the 50% is way too low for him anyhow-

I am assuming this is what the re-eval is for-

but haven't heard back from him yet-

But I agree with you- the VA is a runaway train.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

10thFO,

We also use the Roanoke, Virginia VARO and the Salem, Virginia VAMC. We apparently do not live very far from one another. My husband also goes to the local Vet Center in Roanoke. They are super. In fact, they are losing (retiring) their head Social Worker this Friday. Will be sorry to see him leave. I only hope that he continues in some capacity with helping veterans as he is very compassionate.

It definitely makes it nice when you live so close to the facilities you need to go to or correspond with as a veteran. We even found out that there is a Reserve unit close by us that we were able to go to and get our ID cards.

Sounds like with all of the evidence you have showing unemployablitlity you should have a good shot at getting it, but with the 70%, do you have the necessary ratings within the 70% to get the unemployablitlity?

Wish you the best of luck on the outcome of your claim.

mssoup1

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta,

A lot of times veterans will be 100% P&T for a number of disabilities and the VA will schedule them for an exam. The exam isn't looking at the disability(ies) that caused the 100% P&T. There is probably a disability in there that isn't permanent and that is what the VA is looking at. The rational behind this is not to try to reduce the veteran, as in this case it would be moot because it wouldn't have an affect on the 100%, but to see if the disability has worsened to be able to provide the veteran with any addition compensation i.e. SMC, Housebound ect...

Vike 17

• HadIt.com Elder

Hang in there you are close. Never give up.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Yeah-thanks Vike- this vet is the first Nam vet I met when I moved to NY-20 years ago- he gets the VA paranoia sometimes- I get it too- it is just when you go through so much with them and then have to go through some more-he had one heck of a time on some of his issues.He has 2 PHs too and 40% for the GSW to his leg with scarring.

you are right- they cannot mess with his 100% or that GSW award or the SMC-and I would think his PTSD should be rated higher.

He saw the VA letter in his mail box and got very upset.

I guess it is the fear of the unknown and never quite knowing what to expect from them.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

mssoup, are you speaking of Dan Karnes or John? I see Lynn there and like his group. We've had some newcomers in the past month, and it's a good thing that a lot of the 'Nam vets in my group, that's all it is except for me and one other, who is new, because they have faced a lot of their demons and can help the ones coming in now.

As for the 70% rating, yeah it's solid. 50% PTSD and then another 60% for my back and ears, of course that equates to 70%. Besides I've got the letter from the Voc Rehab stating I'm employment is not feasible, permanently. Seems it's not in my C-File yet so I'm going to put it there.

Where is the reserve unit near you? I live up in Natural Bridge and all we have up here is that National Guard, but I'm getting ready to help out my Postmaster who was in the Navy Reserve, can't remember if that unit was in Radford or Roanoke.

80% SC/100% TDIU

70%PTSD All the rest is Back problems.

10th Mountain.

God Bless the Troops.