Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got My Letter With Ptsd Denial / Non-Sc Pension Awarded

Rate this question

midnight340

Question

I started the "Devastated, Worried...PTSD/all denied" thread but decided to start a new one starting with what my letter says. (I received it today.) I am bouncing back from my first response of being depressed and worried. A lot of it is due to all the help here.

I truly felt devastated, and very worried. My "unofficial-but-wife" was very understanding and patient with me which helped a lot. I want to say thanks to those of you who have been helping me with ideas:

Tbird

Carlie

SP4RVN1971

Pete53

Hoppy

Mystic

steve&pat

deanbrt

68mustang

boomer2

Capt.contaminate

I will continue to appreciate any help and response. I have a few questions about the following.

So from my letter today:

1) They say I am "entitled to a non-service connecte disability rating of 70 percent" I understand they will supplement my Soc. Sec. about $300, but I don't understand what the 70 percent means when it is non-service connected.

Can anyone explain what this means?

2) SC for PTSD denied. Reason "The evidence from your miitary records shows you were deployed with the USS Franklin Roosevelt during the aircraft crash at Miramar NAS"

This seems like a clear error/misunderstanding. I am hoping if I can clarify that the squadron was back at Miramar at that time, and that I can somehow get them to change this. Hoping it does not take two years to do this!!!!

3 SC denied for other stressors because "..you failed to submit enough evidence to request additional evidence from the Joint Services Records Research Center regarding your other claimed stressful incidents."

I don't know if I can support this, but I was present at a number of crashes/deaths during the deployment, and was also caught in a jet blast and blown across onto the elevator, all my gear going over the side... I lucked out in my body wrapping around the front strut of an F-4. No sick bay visit cause I thought I was tough, I guess.

4) Since I do not have service connection, they denied TDIU as well.

Question: do you think that if they do grant SC that the 70 percent non-service connection means anything?

SO... it looks clearly like they are accepting the PTSD and associated problems. (in sources they list my C&P, treatment reports from my VA med center treatment, statements from family, my own statements, etc.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I'll provide the easy answers ...

Answer to Question 1. To receive aNSC pension, you have to be deemed either 100% disabled from non-service connected conditions, or unable to work because of non service connected conditions with either a 60% single disability or combined 70% with a single 40%. The RVSR will use the Rating Schedule to assign percentages. Remarkably like s/c, huh?

Answer to Question 4. Yes. As VA policy generally has been that NSC will be granted, it is sometimes difficult to scratch up enough NSC conditions to even come up with a combined 70%.

Sometimes, there may be an over-generous assignment of percentages to get the requisite magic number and to meet the policy to grant NSC pension. However, in the event that service connection were ever to be granted for any of those conditions, it would be difficult to justify why something would be higher for NSC than when service connection is granted, So yes, if s/c ever were to be granted, that NSC 70% may be significant.

I started the "Devastated, Worried...PTSD/all denied" thread but decided to start a new one starting with what my letter says. (I received it today.) I am bouncing back from my first response of being depressed and worried. A lot of it is due to all the help here.

I truly felt devastated, and very worried. My "unofficial-but-wife" was very understanding and patient with me which helped a lot. I want to say thanks to those of you who have been helping me with ideas:

Tbird

Carlie

SP4RVN1971

Pete53

Hoppy

Mystic

steve&pat

deanbrt

68mustang

boomer2

Capt.contaminate

I will continue to appreciate any help and response. I have a few questions about the following.

So from my letter today:

1) They say I am "entitled to a non-service connecte disability rating of 70 percent" I understand they will supplement my Soc. Sec. about $300, but I don't understand what the 70 percent means when it is non-service connected.

Can anyone explain what this means?

2) SC for PTSD denied. Reason "The evidence from your miitary records shows you were deployed with the USS Franklin Roosevelt during the aircraft crash at Miramar NAS"

This seems like a clear error/misunderstanding. I am hoping if I can clarify that the squadron was back at Miramar at that time, and that I can somehow get them to change this. Hoping it does not take two years to do this!!!!

3 SC denied for other stressors because "..you failed to submit enough evidence to request additional evidence from the Joint Services Records Research Center regarding your other claimed stressful incidents."

I don't know if I can support this, but I was present at a number of crashes/deaths during the deployment, and was also caught in a jet blast and blown across onto the elevator, all my gear going over the side... I lucked out in my body wrapping around the front strut of an F-4. No sick bay visit cause I thought I was tough, I guess.

4) Since I do not have service connection, they denied TDIU as well.

Question: do you think that if they do grant SC that the 70 percent non-service connection means anything?

SO... it looks clearly like they are accepting the PTSD and associated problems. (in sources they list my C&P, treatment reports from my VA med center treatment, statements from family, my own statements, etc.

When the VA makes an error in their decision, or an assumption due to not enough information, and this is on an initial claim (that had hardship consideration) does this take as long to straighten out as putting in another claim? Anyone had experience with this?

I have an appointment to talk with an American Legion person at my VARO tomorrow, so I hope I will know more then.

I am making some progress, and may have found someone here at hadit that was actually in my squadron on the same detachment. This might give me some information to support my being at Miramar at the time of the stressor.

jvretiredvet, thank you much for your response, this is encouraging.

CHRIS

Now all you hav to do is get that 70% service connected and the unemployability has to be addressed.

And there should be enough information in these TAD orders to place you at MIRAMAR. we will start photo copying so when I get the address can send them out tommorow.

STEVE & PAT

THANKS MISTIC for the RELAY

I must of punched up the wrong ID when the wife sent and wrote the message. STEVE

Steve (steve&pat), I appreciate this so much. I look forward to receipt of the TAD orders, or any other info. This should really help!!!!

Tbird, I have been working on the internet searching and had found dates of deployment, but only as listed by someone putting together info. Nothing official. The copy of TAD orders from Steve should help.