Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chapter 35 Reimbursement?

Rate this question

USMC/AF RET.

Question

First, many thanks to this site and the fellows that help a vet like myself just by reading peoples post since I joined this site I've learned a lot and refer few of my fellow vet friend who are having problem with their claims.

I have read one miss Berta's post a while ago with a similar case like mine and I was trying to find it so I can get info. on how to maybe get reimburse whole/part of my son's college tuition, but I cant find it.

I got awarded 100%TP in Aug 2010, but It was retro back from May 2009. My son stop going to school July 2010 because of financial problem, he is turning 24 this April and I just found out that he can still go to school using chapter 35. I'm not sure if I can get part of the money (tuition) that we paid for while he was in school. The vso here where i lived said I cant and just refer me to the 1800 number. I will greatly appreciate any help or guidance from any body's expertise.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

He He !!! That was good!!!

Just to add, VA will extend Chapter 35 by military service. Thangs have changed since I used Chap 35 DEA and I think they only extend the benefit for up to 8 years of service.

In my daughter's case they extended by her 7 years, USAF.

She has the GI Bill too and a vet can only elect one benefit at a time.

My daughter paid for her BS degree herself not using any of these benefits.Where is that hammer!

But in her situation, she gained many college credits from her inservice Tech school and then many from DOD courses which are not

paid for by Chapter 35 and she took some Klep courses.

She saved the GI Bill or Chapter 35 for her evental masters.Her DEA entitlement date was extended again I think (as mine was) when I was awarded Service connected death of my husband last year.

I need to look into that for her.

Time sure flies and these benefits all have deadlines.

I think they extended the Post 9/11 vets GI Bill- but there is another area I need to get up to speed on.