Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Requesting Vso's Worked Claim Records

Rate this question

autumn

Question

what information can/will a vso sedn ot veteran upon a request for all information related to a claim the vso has been working on?

are they required to send all of their records/info ?

is it worth asking for this info prior to taking back POA?

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

My VSO doesn't keep any hard copies, either. Whatever I send to him, just so it can get date stamped by VA, stays with the C-file.

my experience too. lie an intermediary. i send them the docs/folders, they forward it to c-file. and that is more efficient and/or beneficial than we sending it in with a return receipt? my VSO doesn't get return receipts.

My VSO's have told me it would be impossible to keep hard copies of all records of the cases, it would jsut be a nigthmare.. plus, scanning all records would be a fulltime job and cost a lot of money to run such an operation.. so no, they don't keep copies... they make entries into the computer under your file, and that is it..

yes, its these entries i'm wanting a copy of, not of say like c-file docs and such.

i want a copy of claims filed over the years (where, date, & to what VA). what was logged into computer as to what tasks were done working on the claims, (phone calls, letters, etc).

that wouldn't be many papers to be printed and all that stuff should be on their computer system.

the c-file & medical stuff hard copies i don't need from them, heck they get their copies from me anyways for them to file. ;-)

In my experience, Chapter or volunteer service officers do not retain any copies of anything that is claim related. The do not have the resources to safeguard the information, nor can they afford the cost to keep things on file.

National service officers, those who are paid employees of the DAV, VFW, AL, etc.. and who work at the Regional offices level, do keep working files of the claims until they are adjudicated. In most cases their files would be of no use to the veteran since they would only contain working notes, of conversations with the veteran, suspense dates and things of that nature.

understood.

it is in fact these National service officers' files on records i would like to have. it would list the history of claims, docs that were sent to RO, and working notes. that information may or may not be of any use to a veteran.

i was told basically the same by va regarding why i kept getting copies of med records, etc. "why do you want these...", "you wont understand them..." to paraphrase. stuff like that.

if i had not gotten all those records and spent, now going on 5 years of researching them, i'd never had found the answer to my years of neurological symptoms. that is getting a correct diagnosis of ms and getting it service connected. that put an end to the va claiming it was all in my head or over 20 years ago i used to drink and that is what was causing such neuro issues.

since i'm losing faith in VSOs (just [my] experiences), i want a copy of their notes to go through and satisfy a curiosity. i already know they tossed my "character under the bus" 22 years ago on one appeals claim (ms carly & john999 know about that). i'm wondering if that instance had any bearing on subsequent claims after that with the same SO.

thanks

The VSO's I dealt with kept sketchy records and no hard copies of anything that they forwarded for me. Yes they will help you fill out a form or copy a document to send but they don't keep records except notes and perhaps something on their computer.

i'm gonna request those sketchy notes from national. it will at least show a timeline of claims over the years and some of the steps they took on those claims.

since i'm planning of filling out forms myself their sketchy records could help with that along with hadit website.

if their notes are sketchy, and they don't really read/peruse records that the veteran gives them, and they type up a page or two showing them filing a claim on behalf of veteran and then mail that in, if that is all, ... then why do we go through them?

one vso website states they provide free, comprehensive benefits assistance and advocacy. its that word, advocacy, that never came through when i asked many times for it. i had to write a congressman for that "advocacy" which got the correct c&p exams versus the sham exams.

their service to legal representation for appealing denied claims, well, i often get what i paid for, to sum that up.

thanks

since i'm losing faith in VSOs (just [my] experiences), i want a copy of their notes to go through and satisfy a curiosity. i already know they tossed my "character under the bus" 22 years ago on one appeals claim (ms carly & john999 know about that). i'm wondering if that instance had any bearing on subsequent claims after that with the same SO.

thanks

A lot of us have lost faith in VSO's and that is why many chose to fire them and seek help elsewhere..... Many more of us have lost faith in the VS system.