Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C-File Received Opened

Rate this question

rodin57

Question

Well, it's been a while since I last posted. I finally received a copy of my C-File today at my PO Box. It was sent from the Phoenix RO and the box it was mailed in had the end open. (See photo) There was no Postal notice addressing the opened mail. Of course, I will file a complaint with the Post Office tomorrow. The C-File contains many of my VA Medical Records, which I am sure have been compromised. I am sharing this for two reasons- 1. So the members will be aware this type of problem exists, and 2- To determine if there are any further actions I should take (such as VA IG Complaint?).

post-11906-0-63688100-1330573423_thumb.j

Edited by rodin57

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

I am curious as to why you think it is appropriate to file a VA IG complaint?

It sure sounds like the complaint should lie with the Postal IG, especially since the problem is open mail. Since you received a box and it indicated it was from the VA, I would be suspicious that somone poped it open looking for meds. How many stories have we seen about postal employees bosting meds from vets and selling them? I can recall three convictions right off the top of my head.

Best regards,

71M10 wrote: I am curious as to why you think it is appropriate to file a VA IG complaint?

The "such as VA IG" means as an example- not that I am filing a VA IG complaint. If you look at what I wrote, you will see that I filed a complaint with the Post Office today. The "such as" refers to after a Postal investigation. If the Postal Investigation shows they had nothing to do with the opened package, then what? This is where the "such as" comes into play.

71M10, have you actually encountered this type of problem? If yes, how did you deal with it? If no, I thank you for mis-reading my comments.

• HadIt.com Elder

Rodin,

A couple of things come to mind.

Check your Credit report. You can go to annualcreditreport.com and request a free report. Check that no one has opened an account or done a request on you.

Someone could have seen your personal id and maybe stolen it.

My hubby just this last month had someone use his SS number to open an AT&T account. How they got it we haven't a clue.

You might also check with your local police and possibly file a report of this with them so you have back up in case your identity is used.

fanaticbooks

Well, it's been a while since I last posted. I finally received a copy of my C-File today at my PO Box. It was sent from the Phoenix RO and the box it was mailed in had the end open. (See photo) There was no Postal notice addressing the opened mail. Of course, I will file a complaint with the Post Office tomorrow. The C-File contains many of my VA Medical Records, which I am sure have been compromised. I am sharing this for two reasons- 1. So the members will be aware this type of problem exists, and 2- To determine if there are any further actions I should take (such as VA IG Complaint?).

Wow, at least your RO put yours in a box. Mine stuck my file in those plastic carriers and of course it got stuck in the postal equipment and like you mine was tore open along with the usual "We're sorry note" from the post office.Looks like about 10 pages were missing(most copies had page number on the bottom) but I don't know for sure.RO has no clue what was on those page numbers.All we can do is hope what is missing is not too important to our claims or is in the wrong hands. Good Luck! mike

The VARO sent my notice in a regular envelope that was so overstuffed and taped shut it would be comical if it wasn't such sensitive & important information.

I was lucky the post office even sent it thru.

The VARO must have been out of the proper-sized envelopes at the time.

For those who are interested, attached is a copy of the complaint letter I hand-delivered to my Postmaster today. I will begin to check for identity-theft today as well.

post-11906-0-03696300-1330638896_thumb.j