VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

First Post Ptsd Help!

Rate this question

sox

Question

Hi Everyone!

First I would like to thank Hadit for having this site! I have been reading and searching here alot and find it an invaluable resource.

Ok now to my question for the experts....

I filled a claim for ptsd for my experiences at dover afb from 2001-2003 Mortuary. I was diagnosed by the va and the vet center with ptsd. The vet center said my issues were in the sever range with a GAF score of 42-45. I have been denied s/c for ptsd as of july 2011. I filed a NOD in august 2011 and requested a DRO review. since then I have submitted the following:

20+ news articles talking about Dover AFB Mortuary work scandle mismanagement etc.

articles about AF blanket stop loss 2001

articles about stop loss and Ready reserve reactivation (IRR)

A denied separation/ transfer reguest in 2002 to palace chase by AFPC- Reason DIS-MANNING

Buddy statement that saw me being detailed for these duties at roll call

Statement reflecting duties, stop loss, Enlisting in guard to prevent IRR recall, Blanket stop loss effects, transfer request denial after ashes dumped in land fill etc.

My question is am I on the right track or am I running my self in circles? I am not sure if my denied transfer request helps my case or not as I saw it was only for assualts according reg.?

any help is much appreciated :)

Many thanks!

Dot09,

Thanks for the reply. I am a little confused with my buddy satement because it does say that he worked with me doing theses duties, and described the duties while we were working together ( he was later sent to a day shift). The buddy statement does mention other things because I asked them to mention the different exposures and things that happened at dover. They also submitted the statement on a 21-4138 (I askedthem to) Would it be ok to show a copy of the buddy statement that I have (typed out b/c i don't have a scanner) tonight, and maybe see where I can ask my buddy to submit a better one with what the VA needs?

Any help from the experts is a HUGE help!

thanks for all of your patience :)

Dot09,

Thanks for the good feedback! I thought that my buddy and I working together was implied but i guess not.

It really amazes me that when my buddy says "I have seen Sra XXXX assigned mortuary duties many times while stationed at Dover AFB" would not be sufficient to show the VA that I performed these duties.

As far as MH I filled out a questionare once that asked basic yearly health questions. I was set up for a visit for MH and was afraid to go (the kiss of death for your career) so I never went. I ended up talking to the chaplain on the Flight line a bunch of times expressed my difficulties and eventualy he said that I needed to just do the details assigned by supervision. It was a total loose loose situation, no matter what you did you would be damned.

My buddy ended up getting orders to lajes so he was the lucky one.....

A huge thanks for your feedback!

Dot09,

I looked through my records last night. There was no mention of any chaplain records. My EPR's unfortunately were very good due to all of the extra Volunteered duties (Maintenance recovery teams) MRT's etc. It is interesting though only community service, joint readiness/ MRT's and AFSC specific info made it on the EPR's. No mention of Secuirity details, Mortuary details, etc. So I gues the Regional Office has cured me of my PTSD and I must be 100% normal.... :(

Is there any posibility that the VA would use the reasonable doubt clause in my favor for this? I just want to get this whole thing over with, It is pretty draining to say the least...

sox

DOT gave you great advise.

Do you recall the chaplain's name?

If so maybe he/she could be googled for a buddy statement that would help you.Chaplains are bound by conidentially but have, in some cases, been able to at least verify vets sought them for counseling in service.

I know a Chaplain very well, who served for over 30 years in the mil and maybe if you know the Chaplaim's name, he could offer some help in finding him. I would need to know his religious affiliation too, dates and where this occurred.

It is along shot and maybe this CHaplain would not even recall speaking to you---but possibly worth a try.

I worked at a vet center and one of our 100% PTSD vets had mortuary duties.In those days (the 1980S) PTSD had just become a service connectable diagnosis.

VA seemed to want some gory details from some of these Vietnam vets filing PTSD claims at that time.

I hate to put it that way, but it was those horrific details that were the basis of their PTSD.

You said this was draining......I know it is..... my husband, a PTSD SC combat vet had to fill out a long questionaire to get into the 21 day inhouse PTSD program.

It took him a week to do it.He described in detail many stressors he had and almost decided not to even fill it out....his main stressor had been verified by VA ten years prior to this so I couldnt understand the point of the questionnaire that gave him so much pain and nightmares.

But the details are what the VA needs to see that are veriied by an eye witness.

The statement is well written and the buddy did want to help you.It is just that we seasoned claimants know what the VA needs to have.

A few more details of the actual duties, or any additional corroborating buddy statement with details will raise this claim to reasonable doubt.

The VA has made just about everyone here have to Prove stuff to succeed.

Dont take it personally. They just finally acnowledged something in my last claim ,that, for over 17 years they acted like I and the deceased veteran had been lying about.

Many thanks for your help and support!

I think the chaplin's last name was Grothe or Groth... He was a major at the time. It has been so long ago I don't know if they remembered me talking to them :( I would talk to him when they brought the snacks out to us on the Flight line. I remember I would always ask if they had a new Daily bread (there was alot of uplifting passages and stories in that little book) and talk to them about how much trouble I was having with these duties.

I would like to ask my buddy about another statement but it might be too much for them to deal with. He was telling me that he has been struggling with a morter attack from his last deployment, dreams about broken glass and how he was just missed driving from one sector to another. I said to him to try and get as much info of the incident, and anyone that was around so he is trying to put some of this together before the 2 year record shredding. He is also worried about separating as he has 13 years in and if he doesn't make Tsgt by 15 they will RIF him. Mean while he has been trying to hide his difficulties with PTSD so he won't get the boot. Like most of us he doensn't think there is anything wrong and tries to just suck it up.

I think it is good that the VA is trying to recognize that PTSD can happen to troops, but I feel that they almost want you to walk around with a diarie and camera to believe any of these things happened. If I Knew now what information I needed to get something service connected through the VA I would have tried to keep better records. I was under the impression that all documents were archived some how, apparently very wrong with that one. To be honest I didn't even know back then that the VA did anything other than treat veterans for health problems. I honestly thought the GI Bill was run by the military when I separated. I know ignorance is not an excuse but why doesn't the DOD try and help vets prior to separation with VA stuff etc.?

Again Many thanks for your Help and Support!

Sox