Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

First Post Ptsd Help!

Rate this question

sox

Question

Hi Everyone!

First I would like to thank Hadit for having this site! I have been reading and searching here alot and find it an invaluable resource.

Ok now to my question for the experts....

I filled a claim for ptsd for my experiences at dover afb from 2001-2003 Mortuary. I was diagnosed by the va and the vet center with ptsd. The vet center said my issues were in the sever range with a GAF score of 42-45. I have been denied s/c for ptsd as of july 2011. I filed a NOD in august 2011 and requested a DRO review. since then I have submitted the following:

20+ news articles talking about Dover AFB Mortuary work scandle mismanagement etc.

articles about AF blanket stop loss 2001

articles about stop loss and Ready reserve reactivation (IRR)

A denied separation/ transfer reguest in 2002 to palace chase by AFPC- Reason DIS-MANNING

Buddy statement that saw me being detailed for these duties at roll call

Statement reflecting duties, stop loss, Enlisting in guard to prevent IRR recall, Blanket stop loss effects, transfer request denial after ashes dumped in land fill etc.

My question is am I on the right track or am I running my self in circles? I am not sure if my denied transfer request helps my case or not as I saw it was only for assualts according reg.?

any help is much appreciated :)

Many thanks!

I filled a claim for ptsd for my experiences at dover afb from 2001-2003 Mortuary.

I was diagnosed by the va and the vet center with ptsd.

I have been denied s/c for ptsd as of july 2011. I filed a NOD in august 2011 and requested a DRO review.

Exactly, what is stated in the Reasons/ Bases Section of the denial ?

the response from VA said:

*"Your buddy statement did not specifically advise that he observed you doing Mortuary duty"

+ His statement did say that he he saw me assigned to mortuary details many times, worked with me as fill in himself and describes the process of what we did (transfer cases etc)

*"my Military records did not reflect mortuary assignment"

+ We were on call to back fill the mortuary after sept 11th and there was not enough people to process unload etc.

*"My military records did you did not advise of any mental health symptoms untill fall of 2010"

+ I joined the guard after my AD enlistment to prevent being recalled through (IRR) and was reactivated for 2 years in the Guard deployed etc. Separated in fall of 2010 and sought treatment after my separation (Honorable)

Hi Carli,

The VA denied my claim for the following:

You contend that in Dec 1999 through Jul 2003 while stationed at Dover AFB, your duties required you tounload fallen soldiers, and that the containers leaked, and smelled of death.

Although a buddy statement was recieved from XXX, advising that he served with you at Dover AFB, where his duties involved mortuary duties, his statement did not specifically advise that he observed you doing mortuary duty. Additionaly despite that an internet printout was rendered detailing that Dover afb was home for morgue and mortuary services, your personnel records do not show that you were assigned mortuary duty.

VA electronic treatment records note that you did not advise of any mental health symptoms untill fall of 2010, when you indicated that you were assigned to mortuary duty and had to process dead bodies. Prior to that your VA treatment records show that you denied having PTSD. However in 2010, you began taking medications to help you relieve mental health symptoms. You were diagnosed with PTSD based on your subjective complaints of mortuary duty.

A statement recieved from the XXX Vet center notes that your in service stressors were witnessing and handling multiple bodies and body parts and moving themfrom the plane unto the mortuary area, where there was melting ice and body fluids leaking.

You were given a VA examination in Feb 2011, where after examining and interviewing you, and based upon your statement that you had to take dead bodies that were in body bags, that had melted , and process the bodies, the examiner diagnosed PTSD and Mood disorder secondary to PTSD, indicating that you are in the serious symptoms range.

In that you were not stationed in a war Zone, where fear of hostile military or terrorist activity is not a factorin this case, and that service department records did not corroborate your statement that you handled dead bodies, along with your DD=214 and military occupational specialty is inconsistant with this type of stressor. service connection for PTSD can not be granted.

Any thoughts ??

Excerpt from the buddy statement

" during my time at Dover SRA (ME) and I were augmented for just about everything. Ths included mortuary duties as assigned or on call. At roll call we were debriefed our duties for that following day or night. I have seen Sra (Me) assigned mortuary duties many times while stationed at Dover AFB. Part of the mortuary details duties assigned including removing transfer...."

VA said:

"Although a buddy statement was recieved from XXX, advising that he served with you at Dover AFB, where his duties involved mortuary duties, his statement did not specifically advise that he observed you doing mortuary duty. Additionaly despite that an internet printout was rendered detailing that Dover afb was home for morgue and mortuary ser......."

The key to buddy statements is ,as long as the buddy's MOS and service dates are consistent with the claimants',then they need to give an eye witness account,with as many details as possible,in the statement.

If the buddy can give more details as to exactly what they saw you do in the mortuary duty, and they give VA contact info for themselves, the VA would possibly consider a more detailed statement.

Or you could try to get another buddy statement that corroborates this one.But with more details describing what you did.

Here is one of many posts here at hadit regarding buddy statements.

Even if the buddy's MOS if different, there are some cases whereby their MOS could still be consistent with the eye witness account,depending on the details.

In your case, the buddy performed the same type of duties as you did.He needs to state exactly what he saw you do.

I know VA has called up buddys sometimes to clarify what they witnessed so I wonder,if this buddy gave them contact info, as they didnt call him.

Does your buddy have a VA PTSD rating for his experience with mortuary duties?

If so would he be comfortable telling the VA that?

My daughter helped some vets, all involved in the same stressor event in Vietnam.

One of them gave a buddy statement he said they could all use and he told VA in the statement his C file number and that he was rated for PTSD solely due to this same event which had been verified by JSRRC already.

He gave a very detailed eye witness account and mentioned the other vets involved by name and had his signature notarized

Edited by Berta