Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filed A Claim Without Ptsd Diagnosis

Rate this question

jjmd

Question

Hello, first of all I thank everyone's willingness to share their experiences with the VA.

9 months ago, I filed claims for PTSD, headache, Panic attacks, and depression. I have been battling this issues for three years Hoping that they go away. However, I became exhausted and lead to the filing.

at one point I went the an emergency room(civilian) because I was extremely depressed. They did not know what caused it because i did not tell them about PTSD problem. I just told them relationship problem with my wife. ( I thought PTSD issue will keep me from getting a government job down the road).

I also went to the VA emergency room and told the doctor about my panic attacks. He told me it was a natural response to a stressful memory and told me ways to calm myself down. However, I never went on any treatments or seen counseling by anyone because I was just depressed and doing self medication route.

Recently I had a C&P examination and here is my diagnosis

diagnosis 1: Posttramautic Stress Disorder, Chronic

Axis Category I

diagnosis 2: Depressive disorder

Axis category I

Axis II - medical diagnosis : headaches, panic attacks

Axis IV: marital problems, employment problems

Axis V GAF 52

I was also found incompetent to manage my financial affairs

My question is even though the C&P examiner diagnosed me with the conditions, does not having enough medical (except going to the emergency room on two different occasions) and treatment record affects my ratings?

It is acceptable to file for PTSD beforehand without being diagnosed ?

I haven't worked in three years, I quest a good government job in three months because of my condition also my marriage ended, what kind of evidence should i send the VA about my employment and marital problems? should I wait for their request or I should just send the documents now?

thank your for your replies

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Your claim for PTSD will fall under the new PTSD criteria in our PTSD forum here. I will bump the info up there for you.

If the stressor and MOS dont fall into that criteria, the VA will need proof of the stressor event.

They will contact JSRRC (Joint Services Records Research Center) to attempt to verify it but they will need details as to time and place etc.

If you have the CAR, CID, or PH on your DD 214 they will most probably concede the stressor without verification.

Have you received a VCAA letter yet ?-that will tell you more as to what the VA will need.

Thank you Berta and Pete53 for your responses

I have two Combat Action Badges on my 214. I hope that verifies the stressor.

I have not received the VCAA letter yet. I will be very happy to send them whatever documentation they need. I recently checked ebenefits and they have a list of items they needed from me. However, they said they can get my medical information themselves after sending them the consent form. I am a little confused about that. Should I go ahead a get this records myself and send them anyway? We will discuss about it on the PTSD forum. thanx

YES, they should concede the stressor.

I think it would be good for you to obtain a copy of any med recs yourself, even though the VA says they will get them.

You can write to the VAMC you deal with for copies of your VA med recs.